Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter Clutch Question 23 Nov 2020 18:05 #838803

• jleemiller99
  • jleemiller99's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys! Another question for you. I’m finishing up my ‘82 KZ750 Four (knock on wood) with a new starter clutch assembly. Got everything out smoothly and without an issue, but I realized too little too late that I skipped a step. I used a clutch basket holding tool and an impact driver to remove the secondary shaft nuts on both sides, but I did not remove the alternator cover to hold the rotor in place to keep the crankshaft from turning while I was removing the nut on the engine sprocket side. The bike is in neutral of course and the primary chain is in the same position as it was when I tapped out the secondary shaft and the crankshaft appears to be locked in place anyways. Have I made a huge mistake here or should I be okay with a whole lot of luck? Also should I go ahead and hold the rotor upon reinstallation of the secondary shaft or will I be fine? I have my manual handy but it doesn’t go in depth on this. Thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jleemiller99.

Starter Clutch Question 01 Sep 2021 18:56 #854703

• Cfoux85
  • User
  • 1982 Kawasaki kz 750e
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm about to replace mine, I ordered my starter clutch and all so I'll be starting the work on the 9th. I'm going to try and remove it from the bottom but I have no idea what to do so any advise or info would be greatly appreciated. The screws on both left and right side covers are so tight that I end up having to tap them out. I haven't taken either side covers off yet so any suggestions on the easiest way to to do this job? Right now I have only removed the oil pan and that's basically it, where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Starter Clutch Question 01 Sep 2021 20:59 #854711

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
After the clutch is out the oil pump needs to be removed.
You might want to read the thread about guy did about putting in the 6 speed trans from a KZ 550. He upgraded the starter clutch from a ZR 750. I think it was a ZR. Way better than the stock was new. It's a bolt in too. Other than the placement of shim/spacers used which are stock parts anyway. I put one in my project on his write-up. They are not that expensive too. Ebay is where I got mine. The shaft, oil pump and pressure relief valve are bolt in too. 
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cfoux85

Starter Clutch Question 01 Sep 2021 21:34 #854713

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Cfoux85,
It really depends on which KZ you have. For example, the KZ1000 starter clutch is dramatically different from the KZ650. The removal and replacement procedures are completely different.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cfoux85

Starter Clutch Question 01 Sep 2021 22:50 #854717

• Cfoux85
  • User
  • 1982 Kawasaki kz 750e
  • Thank you received: 4
Oh ok well I have the 82 kz750e.

• Page: