kz1000b crankcase storage?

• stevefarris6
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2020 03:54 #838297 by stevefarris6
kz1000b crankcase storage? was created by stevefarris6
Hello.
I am doing akz1000b build and because I'm not cheaping out on this build, it's going slowly. Very slowly. The crankcase that came with the "bike" i bought is a "good bottom end" according to PO. Eventually, I'll get the chassis done and crack the cases to start the engine. Until then, I have a 42 year old engine with no top end, no block, nothing. What is the recommended way to store this thing to preserve it. I don't want to do damage by improperly storing it. Should I fill it with oil? What oil? Seal it in some way? I thought about dropping it in a barrel of conventional oil, but don't know if that's a good idea? Any help from someone who knows would be great.

Help me pickle my engine for later consumption.

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Nov 2020 04:50 #838298 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic kz1000b crankcase storage?
If you have the pistons on the connecting rods I would remove them, number them, clean and store until you start your resto. I would remove the oil pan/filter and check for any signs of corrosion. That's about all lI would do. Then store in a clean dry environment. If you intend to wait more than a year I would check it annually.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
10 Nov 2020 05:20 #838299 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic kz1000b crankcase storage?
Hardrocks plan sounds good to me. I make a mix of 3 in 1 oil, reg oil wd40 etc and coated the hell outta mine after cleaning mine out then wrapped it in clear plastic wrap. Carbs and various extra things are wrapped to and in freezer bags. I it when I see folks with extra parts laying around rusting when just a fast wipe will halt it.

All the chrome have a nice coating on it as the bike has been sitting cause of medical problems and the tearing down of 2 sheds and building a garage and after being under a tarp outside for last summer. I misted the cyl too and of course inside of tank etc

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• stevefarris6
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2020 15:27 #838316 by stevefarris6
Replied by stevefarris6 on topic kz1000b crankcase storage?
Thanks for the quick replies, guys.