bike died while riding. crank no start after.

More
18 Oct 2020 11:03 #837156 by buttliquor
I have a 2005 kz1000p that i bought recently. i was on the freeway going about 80 mph when the bike felt weak then died. i pulled over and the bike would crank but wouldnt turn over. after towing it home i noticed the intake carb boots were ripped. after replacing them the bike would start again.
i rode the bike around town for a few days and everything seemed fine. so i went on the freeway and the same thing happened. i was going about 80 mph and the bike got weak then died seconds later. i tried to turn it back on but it wouldnt turn over. i eventually killed the battery from trying too many times. after charging the battery the bike started right up. im afraid its just going to do the same thing again.
why is my bike doing this? =(
please help me a noob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2020 00:57 #837215 by weebeasty
Replied by weebeasty on topic bike died while riding. crank no start after.
hi not to sound patronizing have you checked the fuel tank vent? getting weaker when riding might suggest lack of fuel. would be a first simple step to check. it does not sound like a battery issue as you would not be able to crank it if it was not holding a charge or being charged while running.

More
19 Oct 2020 16:36 #837260 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic bike died while riding. crank no start after.
Could also be a kinked or clogged fuel line or clogged fuel filter.
Might be old coils that overheat and shut down, but I would check the fuel situation first.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough