Valve lapping result toughts

More
14 Oct 2020 02:22 #836833 by shamal
Valve lapping result toughts was created by shamal
Hi all, i want to know your thoughts about this manual valve lapping i have done on a gpz900 head.
This looks fine to me, i was thinking about polish the valves and the seats with a soft cotton dremel disc and ultra fine metal polish compound . It is worthy?

1983 kz 550 h
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2020 03:19 #836834 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Valve lapping result toughts
They look fine surface finish wise.
Don't do anything else , it'll be a waste of time.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
14 Oct 2020 03:59 #836835 by shamal
Replied by shamal on topic Valve lapping result toughts
Thank you for your answer!
This is just a try i did on a single valve with a Little polish fine compound and a cotton disc. I think i have to try the contact pattern with prussian blue? The valves spins easily by hand when in Place with no grinding sound of any sorts...
I took also a pic of the cam journals. Is this kind of wear to be considered normal? What about polish there? Sorry for my english anyway

1983 kz 550 h
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2020 04:28 #836837 by zed1015
The cam journals look perfect , more or less as they were machined at the factory.
Do not use any polish.
Just lube them on re-assembly.
Be careful of going too far with the lapping .
The valve in the last post has a sunken seating area and ideally should be re-faced.
If they get sunk too far you will loose valve clearance and may need to tip the valves to regain shim adjustment.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

More
14 Oct 2020 04:33 #836838 by shamal
I think this sunken seating area your talking about became visible after the polishing..

1983 kz 550 h

More
14 Oct 2020 04:46 #836839 by zed1015
You must not use any polish of any kind on the valve seating area .
They should be lightly lapped to create a mating seal and that's all.
Polishing any other areas of the valves will give no real advantage in a stock engine.

More
14 Oct 2020 04:56 #836842 by shamal
Ok ! Thank you!
This bike has no need of shims for valve clearance. There is the screw and locknut system , that i prefer. So easy and comfortable.
I think things not can be too bad since the valves looks all the same in size, lips and contact pattern . We will see! In order to fit again the valves with new seals, any advice? I m not going to replace the valve guides, how can i clean the guide channels?

1983 kz 550 h