loose starter chain on kz400

• davidjahns
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • HELP! I'm a computer guy!
More
07 Oct 2020 17:05 #836369 by davidjahns
loose starter chain on kz400 was created by davidjahns
picked up 75 kz4 that was "halfway" through a restoration job. Previous guy had put on Mikunis, new points, and replaced the starter. Said he got it off another 75 kz400. It works, but the chain is very loose - so much that it bangs on the casing when turning over. I thought somehow the chain had loosened up, or was possibly the wrong length of chain - found another used one and tried it, but got the exact same results. The chain is the same on all kz400 and 440 from 75-82, so pretty sure it's the right one. I don't see any place to tighten/adjust/wiggle anything in the starter, or gear, etc.

Any ideas what could be going on here? And how to fix?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2020 11:40 - 08 Oct 2020 11:43 #836398 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic loose starter chain on kz400
Did you check the part numbers on the starter sprocket. I seem to recall someone else having this issue on a Kz400 and it was the starter sprocket was the wrong one. I took this photo for that thread. It's from a 76 500D3 . It has 13 teeth and 31 splines..

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2020 11:43 by loudhvx.

• davidjahns
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2020 16:12 #836657 by davidjahns
Replied by davidjahns on topic loose starter chain on kz400
I received a starter sprocket with the new chain, and they were identical - 13 teeth, same number of splines..

UPDATE: there is some wiggle room in the starter shaft. Just enough to tighten up the chain.

I took the starter apart to see what I could learn about it, and when I put it back together, it seemed tight. But then once I put in on the bike and gave the starter a spin (without the chain), it went back to being loose. Any ideas what's going on there?
Attachments:

IMG_8590_S...480p.mov

• davidjahns
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2020 16:14 #836658 by davidjahns
here's video of the starter shaft wiggle.
Attachments:

IMG_8590_S...480p.mov

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
11 Oct 2020 17:11 #836663 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic loose starter chain on kz400
I can not tell from the video you posted if the movement is just the shaft, which to me would indicate an issue with the the bearings/bushings the shaft run through. Or if the entire stater is moving, in which case I would attempt to shim it tight.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: davidjahns

• davidjahns
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2020 17:39 #836664 by davidjahns
Hey Thanks! the starter itself is rock solid in there, and when I had it removed and separated out, the shaft part was wobbly by itself. When I put the small gears on the spindle and put it back together, it appeared to be tight, but then went wiggly again after installing it and spinning the starter.