Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch 16 Oct 2020 15:38 #837026

• kz-recruit
  • kz-recruit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Took the sprocket and associated cover off. Again everything looked normal. The push rod does rub something when about 1.5" before being all the way inserted, more of a sound than an obstruction. I took some pictures so you could see if there is something that I have just been blind to.
91 KZ1000P
05 S40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch 16 Oct 2020 16:50 #837033

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Not a good view of the sprocket splines. Not rounded off, parts of the inner splines ground off, metal particles anywhere, fits tight when you slide it on the output shaft?

Is the rod long enough to reach the bucket? I know some J engines used two piece rods., so you could only pull half of it out the left side.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Last edit: by VTEC.

Clutch 16 Oct 2020 17:37 #837035

• kz-recruit
  • User
There is no unusual wear that I can see. There is no back and forth movement once its on the shaft. I thought it may be chain tension, but that looked good prior to me removing the front sprocket (Etc.)

Push rod is long enough to reach the bucket. I have made sure that its not catching on the lip in the clutch mechanism, which would prevent it from sitting all the way.

Went back and verified spring torque on the clutch plate.

Gonna clean the grease off the bearings and clutch mechanism prior to buttoning it back up. Maybe it's not completely resetting after pulling the clutch to start?
91 KZ1000P
05 S40

Clutch 16 Oct 2020 18:14 #837039

• VTEC
  • User
Good one. Maybe with both covers off do a process of elimination. With pressure plate off put a breaker bar on the big nut while, in first gear, and holding the rear wheel. See if you can apply decent torque without turning once all the slack is taken up. This should tell you that everything between the bucket and rear wheel is good. Then with pressure plate on, wedge a prybar or something (safely) in the teeth of the outer bucket gear, and see if a helper can turn the sprocket nut with another ratchet. If so, the slip is in the clutch itself, and not the release mechanism or any part of the transmission.

I'm giving you everything I can think of without being there.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Last edit: by VTEC.

Clutch 09 Dec 2020 17:01 #839701

• VTEC
  • User
What was the verdict?
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Clutch 19 Dec 2020 08:03 #840317

• kz-recruit
  • User
Been meaning to get back on and update.

Somehow the bearing on the pressure plate had backed out about an 1/8. Set that in properly and all set.

Can't tell you how many times that got taken off: bearing greased, moved, and back on with me not seeing that it was backed out.

Again I appreciate all the help you guys gave me.
91 KZ1000P
05 S40

Clutch 22 Dec 2020 17:05 #840420

• VTEC
  • User

kz-recruit wrote: Been meaning to get back on and update.

Somehow the bearing on the pressure plate had backed out about an 1/8. Set that in properly and all set.

Can't tell you how many times that got taken off: bearing greased, moved, and back on with me not seeing that it was backed out.

Again I appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

That's weird. I remember banging the bearing into the plate and it was a really tight fit. Don't know how it could have backed out, All pressure from the rod is pushing it in.

Glad you got it fixed!
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R