wont idle down/oil leak

More
12 Sep 2020 04:47 #834840 by Mitch`s KZ
wont idle down/oil leak was created by Mitch`s KZ
Hi everyone, I`m having 2 issues. first one happened when I was blipin the throttle repididly. I would let it idle down and then I would twist the throttle as quick as I could. I was trying to see, or I wanted to know if I could get an immediate throttle response. It would spit through the carb and almost stall out if i didnt back of the throttle. After about 8 times of this it started to idle down very slow, and it wouldnt idle down below 2000 rpms. My question is this, is it possibly an advancer spring issue or does the idle screw need adjusted. I`m kind of puzzled why its idling high after blipin the throttle a number of times. I have a dyna ignition installed a month and a half ago with no issues.
My second issue is that there seems to be an oil leak somewhere up by the head where the carbs are. I`m thinking maybe it could be a head gasket. Does anyone have any thoughts of what else it could possibly be. its didnt seem to be a lot of oil but i didnt run it that long either. Thanks Mitch

Mitch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2020 05:12 #834842 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic wont idle down/oil leak
If you open the throttle from idle to full throttle instantly your leaning the mixture as the slide let's in more air before the jets can react to let in more fuel.
You would never open the throttle that quickly when riding so it doesn't occur during normal use.
Oil leak could be cam cover, head gasket or cam chain adjuster depending where the oil is evident.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
12 Sep 2020 05:45 #834843 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic wont idle down/oil leak
A picture of where your oil leak is may help in diagnosing where it is coming from.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
12 Sep 2020 06:14 - 12 Sep 2020 06:16 #834844 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic wont idle down/oil leak
As mentioned above, a hanging idle is often the result of a lean mixture. This can be caused by clogged jets, low fuel level in the carburetors, old, hard, leaking carb holders. Yes, a sluggish or stuck mechanical timing advancer can also cause it.
It would be helpful if we knew which year and model KZ you have, as there are significant differences between mechanical carbs and constant velocity carbs, mechanical spark advance and electronic advance, et cetera.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 12 Sep 2020 06:16 by TexasKZ.

More
12 Sep 2020 07:27 #834846 by ckahleer
Replied by ckahleer on topic wont idle down/oil leak
As a general rule, you should not be able to blip the throttle until the engine is fully warmed up. if you can your too rich. Does applying the choke help throttle response?
Its hard to pinpoint an oil leak on an oily engine. I clean the engine good with a de-greaser. Once the engine is dry and clean, start it and watch for leak to develop. Have a flash light and inspection mirror handy. Don't ride the bike. The wind can blow the oil around, making it look like it is leaking in places it isn't.

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VF1100c

More
12 Sep 2020 10:33 #834856 by Mitch`s KZ
Replied by Mitch`s KZ on topic wont idle down/oil leak
its a 1977a kz

Mitch

More
12 Sep 2020 10:34 #834857 by Mitch`s KZ
thanks good idea about the mirror. the engine is clean so i will try that

Mitch

More
12 Sep 2020 10:35 #834858 by Mitch`s KZ
ill try the choke today and let you know thanks

Mitch

More
12 Sep 2020 11:38 #834862 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic wont idle down/oil leak

Mitch`s KZ wrote: its a 1977a kz

KZ 200 A? KZ1300A?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Sep 2020 13:17 #834873 by Mitch`s KZ
sorry 1977 kz 1000a

Mitch

More
12 Sep 2020 13:28 #834874 by Mitch`s KZ
so I started the bike up again today after 3 days of sitting and the only thing it was doing was idling a little high. So I adjusted the idle down to 1100 rpms and it revved up and settled back down just fine. So i let it run for 10 minutes and no oil leak. Took it for A quick ride and when I parked it no oil leak. Not sure why I noticed a leak the other day but today its fine. I did purchase a mirror to try and see behind the carbs. unfortunately the mirror was a little bit big so I couldnt see everything, but what I did see, there was no noticeable oil leaks. tomorrow I will run it a little bit longer and get a smaller mirror to check with. thanks for the help guys, everyone here is awesome with the help. God Bless Mitch

Mitch

More
12 Sep 2020 13:31 #834875 by Mitch`s KZ
hey Warren is this your collection of kaws.?

Mitch