82’ KZ750E won’t idle down

More
06 Sep 2020 21:40 #834503 by Cwnordquist
82’ KZ750E won’t idle down was created by Cwnordquist
Alright so I’m pretty new to the forum so looking for a bit of help. I’ve got a 1982 KZ750E the four cylinder. The bike is having a problem coming down from high revs. I’ve recently installed a dynatek DS2 ignition system, coils and wires as well. The bike wasn’t treated well when I got it so I also got a carb rebuild kit as well, and adjusted the mixture screws out 2 turns out them. I’ve now got the bike back together and running, kind of. I can adjust the idle up to a good idle (I’m not sure exactly what the idle is since the tach cable is shot) but when I twist the throttle, the bikes revs shoot up and hang on for a good long while until they come back down. I’ve been battling this issue for a few weeks now and I just can’t find the solution. The bike didn’t run before this because the fella before me didn’t replace the pickup cover gasket and it became rust mania in there, hence why I bought the dynatek. Anyways hoping someone out has found the solution to this, I want to get a good ride in before winter

Clayton Nordquist
1982 Kawasaki KZ 750 E3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2020 22:54 #834506 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 82’ KZ750E won’t idle down
There are several,possibilities.
The low speed circuits are still clogged up. Unless you completely disassembled each carburetor, unganged the bodies, and made absolutely certain that every tiny passageway in each carb is completely clear, the carbs may try to idle on the main jets, giving you all sorts of headaches.

One or more of the diaphragms may be torn or have tiny holes in them, preventing the slides from working properly.

The throttle cables may be frayed or rusted, or the throttle shaft may be bent or dirty.

If your ignition system has a mechanical advancer, it could still be rusty or dirty enough to not work smoothly.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
07 Sep 2020 05:50 #834519 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 82’ KZ750E won’t idle down
Adding to TexasKZ's list...

A hanging idle is often caused by lean mixture. On old bikes like ours I recommend replacing the intake boots that bolt to the head because they often leak due to cracking. The airbox boots need to be properly sealed too or the bike won't run right. And needless to say, if you ditched the airbox the carbs will need complete rejetting.

More
07 Sep 2020 15:09 #834565 by Cwnordquist
Replied by Cwnordquist on topic 82’ KZ750E won’t idle down
Thank you guys for the tips so far! Took the carbs back off to do another clean to make sure the passages weren’t clogged up, so then I went ahead and tested the carb boots after seeing what you said, got the bike to idle and warm up then set the idle up again so it would stay running, then sprayed carb cleaner on the engine side of the boots and the engine almost stalled immediately, then I did it to the other three and it did the same thing, and actually died one time. So I’ve got new boots on the way, I’ll give an update when I get them on the bike!

Clayton Nordquist
1982 Kawasaki KZ 750 E3