Oil pressure switch swap?

More
02 Sep 2020 04:38 #834200 by Peanuthead
Oil pressure switch swap? was created by Peanuthead
I was wondering if its possible to swap out my oil pressure switch for an actual oil pressure gauge. Has anyone done this before? How much of a P.I.T.A. is it? It'll be on an 82 440 engine.

Thanks in advance y'all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2020 17:00 #834248 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Oil pressure switch swap?
Your engine doesn't use the type of oil pressure switch with a valve that also prevents oil drain back from the top end. So adding a gauge is not a problem in that respect.

If you add a mechanical gauge right where the OEM switch was, it has to be liquid filled, From experience, a dry mechanical gauge wont last a week due to engine vibration. The drawback to liquid filled is the reading changes with engine temperature as the liquid expands and builds internal pressure. Not accurate, but they look cool!

The best way, but lots more work, is using a variable resistor pressure sending unit wired to a separate handlebar mounted gauge. You could also use an oil line form the switch port to a mechanical gauge on the handlebars, but that's real old school and wouldn't recommend it.

Hope that helps...

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
02 Sep 2020 19:36 #834262 by Peanuthead
Replied by Peanuthead on topic Oil pressure switch swap?
I was definitely looking at liquid gauges and think a 60psi gauge will be fine. Running an oil line to the handlebars or tank would be cool. Maybe do that during the 2.0 build.

More
02 Sep 2020 20:05 #834268 by ghostdive
Replied by ghostdive on topic Oil pressure switch swap?
Brighter minds may chime in, but I think operating oil pressure is somewhere in the single digits to mid-teens - might not be confidence-inspiring on a 60psi gauge :side:

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

More
02 Sep 2020 21:30 #834269 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil pressure switch swap?
Maybe something like this would be better than one with a needle. Ed

www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41430/10002/-1

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)