'83-'85 GPz1100 discontinued pre-formed fuel hose DIY fix

More
16 Aug 2020 14:25 - 16 Aug 2020 14:50 #833038 by Polar_Bus
Hey people. I want to share a year long major fuel system dilemma that's i've had with my '84 Gpz1100 over the past few years. Long story short I had somewhat of a "ghost" fuel leak that was difficult to isolate. I never smelled any raw fuel, and nor did I see any small drips or puddles on the ground. If my GPz sat for more than a month I would be out of primary fuel . Twice when going for a ride this took me by surprise and oddly had no gas and had to switch over to reserve. So now I need to dig deep and see if I can find a leak. I eventually foud the dam leak, and it was the short pre-formed rubber hose the connects the fuel pump to the fuel filter. A small dry rot crack and the fuel was dripping down along the hose and directly on to the drive chain, and this is why I never really saw and puddles as the chain was carrying the gas all the way down the chain and randomly dripping on the floor. OK so I remove the hose and it's got 36 years worth of small cracks and needs to be replaced and is discontinued . Problem is this hose is pre-formed and very short , and has a .5" dia outlet and a 3/8" inlet and has a 90 degree bend.

[img

[img

My GPz is in really nice OEM shape, and I desperately want to try and maintain OEM as best I possibly can. That being said, there is no way I can easily substitute standard rubber hose, without looking like a complete hack job. I tried searching EVERYWHERE for a NOS hose, even my local dealer did a nationwide Kawi dealer part search, and nothing. A few months pass and I am SO bummed about what to do , then while doing some work on my 2006 Honda Civic auto , I remembered removing some small pre-formed cooling hoses that keep the throttle body from freezing in the extreme cold. I remember I saved all the old parts that I removed and I had a thought that maybe there was a slim chance that I could make one of those hoses work. Took me 2 weeks of searching to remember what I did with the hoses, and FINALLY I found them is a box, in another box up in my attic/shrine of parts ! I immediately saw a hose that looked like I can work with. Bottom line is that YES , I had a close enough match to work ! The Honda cooling hose even had the needed 1/2" i.d one one end, and the 3/8" i.d at the other end. Here's a pic of the GPz hose (top) and the Honda Civic cooling hose (bottom).

[img

All's I needed to do is cut the over all length of the Honda hose and It was a reasonably close match. Definitely not a perfect match but darn close enough.

[img

[img

The only issue with this fit is the fact you won't be able to clamp the fuel filter into it's mount bracket. It is possible but with the fuel filter strapped to it's bracket it forces an excessive kink in the hose that could cause flow problems. If you just let the fuel filter naturally rest there's no hose kinks. and all's I did was add a snug zip tie around the fuel filter so it won't vibrate. The side cover fit's fine, and does not interfere with the fuel filter. So if any of you GPz guys encounter this problem, here's the quick and clean fix. The Honda p/n for the hose is 36282-RRA-A00 and I added a parts diagram of the hose for clarification . Hope this saves you a lot of time and stress ! This DIY may also work for the GPz "B" series DFI injected bikes as well, I have not researched these models.

2006 Honda Civic Si coupe, and this is the intake manifold diagram. The hose is only about $8 !

[img

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 14:50 by Polar_Bus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2020 15:11 - 16 Aug 2020 16:05 #833044 by M_a_t_t
How long have you had it installed? Some say those coolant hoses will disintegrate in gas over time. I had to use a radiator hose for the filler neck on my car because of discontinued parts and was warned against by some, others just said they had them on their car for years and no issues. I ended finding an actual filler hose so I don't have any experience with the rad hose as a fuel hose.

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 16:05 by M_a_t_t.

More
16 Aug 2020 17:09 #833055 by Polar_Bus

M_a_t_t wrote: How long have you had it installed?

About a week. I doubt i'll have deterioration issues, however I will certainly be keeping an eye on the hose just for my own piece of mind.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy