Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kz750e engine ticking (probably cam chain tensioner) 30 Jun 2020 13:55 #829453

• david richard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
hi mb ,if i were you i would replace both parts and the spring ,make sure when you install it ,it has taken up all the slack in the chain and i think there will be about 4 to 6 mm left poking out off the body ,if to much is still out then its not pushing in on the blade ,if you turn the motor over on the end off the crank with a socket you will see it go in so only do this if you understand this or have a manulal ,thanks david

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz750e engine ticking (probably cam chain tensioner) 02 Jul 2020 00:14 #829581

• mbcustom
  • mbcustom's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

david richard wrote: hi mb ,if i were you i would replace both parts and the spring ,make sure when you install it ,it has taken up all the slack in the chain and i think there will be about 4 to 6 mm left poking out off the body ,if to much is still out then its not pushing in on the blade ,if you turn the motor over on the end off the crank with a socket you will see it go in so only do this if you understand this or have a manulal ,thanks david

Sorry but I don't have understand the point where you tell me to turn the motor, if the part comes out too much.

Kz750e engine ticking (probably cam chain tensioner) 02 Jul 2020 02:00 #829585

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
About the plunger tip, they all get like that. I have two or three lying in my garage. You put a new one, ride a few miles, remove it and the soft tip will be flattened. The cross wedge tensioner is only two springs, the plunger, and the wedge. There is hardly anything that can go wrong, except springs getting weak perhaps, I suppose. ., but I have never had any problem with it. I have a manual one, not because the stock tensioner was ever wrong, but because the manual makes all work on the top end a breeze.

.......the valves are usually what needs some attention, not the tensioner, but nobody wants to hear that......it is up to you.

Last edit: by hugo.

Kz750e engine ticking (probably cam chain tensioner) 02 Jul 2020 09:53 #829611

• david richard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
hi mb sorry to confuse you ,when you put the plunger into the body of the tensioner and bolt it onto the engine block it pushes on the blade to tension the chain ,then i have found some times when you put the second part of the wedge and spring into the unit you can see the end of it poking out thats the bit that is covered buy the cap goes over it.if to much is poking out then the correct tension has not been applied to the chain .then take the right hand side generator cover off and use a 17mm socket to turn the engine over slowly in a clockwise direction i just also just put a little bit of pressure on the wedge to replicate the spring so it just snugs up,then if its good spring and cap on ,if you get the parts in your hand you can see the plunger bolt affects the wedge part ,hope this helps ,david

Kz750e engine ticking (probably cam chain tensioner) 03 Jul 2020 06:44 #829679

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
Another thing to watch out for is primary drive chain on the KZ650/750.
They will stretch with use and have no way to add tension to the chain.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

• Page: