82 kz750e hard to start when hot

More
22 Jun 2020 15:48 #828692 by Ricco86
82 kz750e hard to start when hot was created by Ricco86
Hi guys!
I finally have my bike running I out about 40+ miles last weekend(first time riding since I got it)
I noticed that when the bike have been running for a while and I shut off the bike it becomes hard to start it if not impossible. Bike had amazing power and idles pretty good. Also starts right up when cold, or even just warm. Tried choke and doesn’t help when hot, anyone familiar with this issue? I keep seeing spark plugs, coils, ecm . Since the bike never stalls and idles kinda ok any suggestions? Spark plugs are old and it’s on my list to replace. Thank you.

Ricco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
22 Jun 2020 16:21 #828696 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic 82 kz750e hard to start when hot

I noticed that when the bike have been running for a while and I shut off the bike it becomes hard to start it if not impossible

Do you mean that stopping and immediately starting again is difficult, or is it when you stop it, leave it 10 minutes, then start again?

If it struggles to start after several minutes, that could imply a fuel issue. A hot engine does not want choke, and does not want a rich condition. But after sitting for a few minutes with a hot engine, the carb floats will be full and the extra heat will help vaporize it, making a rich condition. Most carb bikes, even when running properly will have more trouble starting when hot for this reason. But a carb service can usually improve it - making sure the fuel tap isn't leaking and that the needle and seats are sealing properly, and most importantly the float level.

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.