Stuck Cam Cap bolt

More
20 Jun 2020 07:23 - 20 Jun 2020 07:24 #828518 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stuck Cam Cap bolt
Regarding the torque values - the Kawasaki Service Manual states "All of the values are for use with dry solvent-cleaned threads." If the threads or fasteners have oil or other liquid on them all bets are off. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 07:24 by 650ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2020 08:50 #828521 by ned37
Replied by ned37 on topic Stuck Cam Cap bolt
if you go with an 8mm replacement, use a button head bolt so you have clearance for the cover.

'83 GPZ1100, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200, '08 Husky TE610
Verde Valley, AZ

• 1981kz750ltd
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Jun 2020 10:36 #828524 by 1981kz750ltd
Replied by 1981kz750ltd on topic Stuck Cam Cap bolt

The main reason the bolts are stripped in the head is overtorquing the bolts

Our process is to cover the cam closest to the cap being tightened with a clean folded shop towel for cushioning, then use the heel of a palm to press down hard on the cam while at the same time tightening the cam cap bolts. That removes much of the load from the threads. Two people make that part of the job easier; one to press, the other to run the ratchet. Once snug, tighten to spec.

Thank you very much men. It's this kind of specialized knowledge sharing that made me a $ supporter of this site.

Now, when I bought this the seller had had the top end freshly done on it. But to me it was too noisy. Evidently the mechanic who did the work blew out the threads on two of the 4 cam cap bolts and tried to shortcut his way out the damage. The noise in the top was loudest right there. But that guy would have had to have been a member of this site to tap into others experience to avoid what happened, because you won't find this kinda chit in the book.

And, although I'm not a Professional Thread Repairer, I do play one on television....

Seriously though, I've repaired wayyy more damaged threads and broken bolts in 40 years than I expected or wanted too. And I find I still have more to learn.

Good stuff here guys. Thanks again.

More
20 Jun 2020 16:01 - 20 Jun 2020 16:02 #828547 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Stuck Cam Cap bolt
Another big cause of stripped bolt holes is sealant in valve cover holes or oil in cam cap holes. The sealant or liquid won't compress, but also will not feel solid. It will feel squishy, so you will think you need to apply more torque. But the threads will just strip out very easily. I use a pick and whatever else I can to get every last thing out of the bolt holes.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 16:02 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, 1981kz750ltd

More
20 Jun 2020 19:11 #828557 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Stuck Cam Cap bolt
Pulling down the cams into position using the threads puts a lot of stress on the aluminum threads. Using vice grips and clamping the cams down into the bearings before installing the caps saves the day although it's difficult if not impossible on some bikes for the intake cams. Regarding stripped threads, I'd use helicoils. Timeserts are better for things like spark plug threads but helicoils are a good option for cam caps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1981kz750ltd

More
21 Jun 2020 02:58 - 21 Jun 2020 02:59 #828561 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic Stuck Cam Cap bolt
Just my cents worth here, rather than go to inserts go for a stepped stud system 8x1.25mm down to 6mm, i done this to all sixteen on a head 14 years ago and it is still running around, it also allows you to keep the locating dowels, getting the cams in is a little tight but easy enough to do.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2020 02:59 by kevski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, slmjim+Z1BEBE, Nessism, 1981kz750ltd