79 kz750 twin fires but won't start?

More
04 Jun 2020 21:57 #827337 by Bohall
79 kz750 twin fires but won't start? was created by Bohall
Ok... first time post here and I need some help. I have a 1979 kz750 twin chop. I have rode it for years, i love this thing. Life got in the way.. blag blag blah it sat and needed work to live again....But now I have been trying to get this thing running for quite some time, 2 months. And now I'm almost there but it won't fire off. It has new gas in it. I have rejetted the carbs for straight pipes. 145 mains 50 pilots. I have a brand new battery and the bike has been wired simple. I have a brand new rewound stator, valves have been shimmed, No electric start just kick, so in theory... it should start.... ok... I just replaced the fuel lines because I wasn't getting enough fuel to the carbs due to a nasty inline filter (my tank is a bit rusty) but now I have sufficient flow but when I turn the key turn on the choke and kick, it wants to start, like it will fire, but it wont fully start. I don't know what else I would need to do... and its driving me crazy. Please someone help me I'm beating my head against the wall..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2020 07:04 - 05 Jun 2020 07:08 #827350 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 79 kz750 twin fires but won't start?
When you replaced the jets, did you completely disassemble the carbs, soak all the parts in carb cleaner, and carefully insure that all the jets and tiny passageways in the carb bodies are perfectly clean?
The tiny pilot circuit passages are the first to get clogged up with dried fuel when a bike sits for too long.
Did you double check the fuel levels using the clear tube method?
Did you install a new fuel filter? Any little trash from the tank will clog the pilot circuits. I recommend a Golan filter. They are expensive up front, but they filter smaller particles than any other filter I have looked at, and the filter material is cleanable and reusable.
They make models to fit several hose sizes. Be sure to get the one for the size on your bike.
golanproducts.com/product/super-mini-fue...r-5-16-barb-fitting/

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 05 Jun 2020 07:08 by TexasKZ.

More
16 Jul 2020 19:37 #830844 by BobberDan
Replied by BobberDan on topic 79 kz750 twin fires but won't start?
79 kz750 has no magnito requires good battery, grounds ect.... cheep pod filters will block idol circuit pin hole along with the 2 other air passages at air entrance..been there done that..