KZ1000 Hot Start Issue

More
27 May 2020 14:59 #826679 by mjudge
KZ1000 Hot Start Issue was created by mjudge
Hi All! My '82 KZ1000 seems to starts OK, and idles great, but after it warms up it doesn't want to start again. Feels like it's not getting fuel. I have a new MotionPro carb synchronizer I just picked up, and will use that shortly, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue? Also, I have a new Suzuki petcock from Z1 on it as all my KZ petcocks were leaklng. And my enricher only seems to pull out 1/8 inch total. Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
27 May 2020 15:55 #826682 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue
A hot start needs a less fuel/air (lean) ratio then an cold start (fat). Try a hot start with throttle fully open and enricher ciruit closed.

More
27 May 2020 16:41 #826687 by mjudge
Replied by mjudge on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue
I'll try that. Thanks! How about that enricher knob? Like I said, it seems like it should pull out more than 1/8 or 1/4 inch.

More
27 May 2020 16:58 - 27 May 2020 16:59 #826688 by Nessism
Last edit: 27 May 2020 16:59 by Nessism.

More
27 May 2020 17:17 #826692 by mjudge
Haven't gotten that far yet.

More
27 May 2020 20:12 #826704 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue

mjudge wrote: Haven't gotten that far yet.

Hum, that's what I suspected. Not good. The valve clearance goes away with mileage and after awhile it's all gone and the valves hang open, particularly when the engine is hot. That's how valves get burned and cracked. I don't know for a fact that's what happening on this bike but I do know you need to tend to basic maintenance like this ASAP with any old bike purchase.

More
28 May 2020 03:19 #826715 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue
Describe the enricher issue more. The lever should be level when "off" and all the enricher collars should be down tight against the rubber cap. When you lift the enricher lever it should go all the way to about 45 degrees from horizontal and be lifting each enricher valve approx 8mm.
So the 1/8 in you mention, depending on if its level to start with when "closed" and only goes up 1/8 inch means the enricher is only partially opening making it difficult to start from cold.
If the lever is 22 deg (ish) when closed and only goes up 1/8 in then the enricher is always partially open. Making it easy to start from cold when the lever is lifted 1/8 in to fully open it but a bastard to start from hot as the enricher system is always partially open when you close it.

All that aside, ensure you do all the maintenance adjustments before using the bike for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread,

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
28 May 2020 06:21 #826724 by mjudge
Thanks guys. I've never done any valve work but I've done pretty much everything else, so I'll give it a try; the bike only has 10K on it so I was hoping valves wouldn't be an issue. The enricher is not a lever like on the KZ650, it's a knob you pull out horizontally, and mine only goes out about 1/8 or 1/4 inch. Don't have a picture or I'd attach it. Never had one like this.

More
28 May 2020 06:31 #826725 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 May 2020 06:33 - 28 May 2020 06:34 #826727 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue

mjudge wrote: Thanks guys. I've never done any valve work but I've done pretty much everything else, so I'll give it a try; the bike only has 10K on it so I was hoping valves wouldn't be an issue. The enricher is not a lever like on the KZ650, it's a knob you pull out horizontally, and mine only goes out about 1/8 or 1/4 inch. Don't have a picture or I'd attach it. Never had one like this.

If the engine only has 10k miles on it I would be very surprised if the valve clearances are the problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 28 May 2020 06:34 by 650ed.

More
28 May 2020 06:40 #826729 by mjudge
That was my initial thought Ed. And I have the service manual but thank you! This quarantine has given me time to do stuff I don't usually have the time to do...

More
28 May 2020 10:12 #826750 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic KZ1000 Hot Start Issue
I'll admit that I don't have a ton of experience on anything but my KZ-1000, but after literally pouring over all the problem areas dealing with engine, carbs and ignition and poor running it's my personal opinion that the first jumping off point with any issue is valve adjustments regardless of mileage on the bike. Let's face it, unless you are the original owner of the bike you really have no clue what was done to it in the past. Once you are sure your valve adjustments are in spec you can move on to bigger and better things knowing at least the valve adjustment is good. After the valve adjustment the next important item to check is the spark advancer. I poo-pooed the suggestion to check mine when I first got the bike, but when I finally listened to those with more sense and knowledge than me sure enough the darn thing was super sticky. I also found one of the rubber pads was almost gone so I installed a new advancer. That one item made a huge change in the way my KZ-1000 ran.

So choke enrichers aside I think you simply must go thru the proper steps to identify a motor problem with these bikes. Certainly if the choke lever isn't functioning correctly it must be dealt with, but the OP would be very wise to go back to the beginning and start with a valve adjustment. If that doesn't help he can look at the next item on the list, but jumping around doesn't help in many instances.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw