Fudge!!!

More
10 May 2020 08:23 #825377 by Bowserpup32
Fudge!!! was created by Bowserpup32
While taking off the carb intake boots on my 1978 kz1000a2 I might have dropped one of the small bolts into the head through hole shown in photo. I’m not sure it went into hole but can’t find the bolt anywhere. I have already sent a magnet into hole as much as possible but maxes out after about 2” and unfortunately no bolt attached to magnet.

Is it possible to check to see if bolt is in there somehow without dismantling head. Dismantling the head would be way beyond my limitations.

Any suggestions here??? Ugh...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2020 08:38 #825378 by krazee1
Replied by krazee1 on topic Fudge!!!
You should be able to look into the intake tract with a flashlight and see whether or not the intake valve is open. If it is open, a borescope down the sparkplug hole is an option to take a peek into the combustion chamber/cylinder. I would think you would have to be extremely unlucky for the screw actually make it into the cylinder, but as they say, Fudge happens! Good Luck!

Mike

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 May 2020 10:43 #825384 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Fudge!!!
You can get a telescopic magnet at the auto parts store. Look for the one with a small magnet. With the piston at the bottom you should he able to get it if it's in there. I doubt it would fit past the valve but I guess it could happen.
Steve

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 May 2020 13:23 #825396 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Fudge!!!
Did you try turning the intake so that it faces the floor? If the bolt is in there it might just fall out.

You should be able to see in as far as the valve guide with a small light. I doubt the bolt would go any further.

If it doesn't fall out and you can't see it, the next thing is to do another very complete sweep of your shop to find the little bagger.

Lastly, bring the piston up to TDC and stick a magnet down the sparkplug hole to see if you can find it. If that doesn't work then the only sure way to check is to pull the head off. It's not that big a deal to take it off, check the intake and the cylinder and then put it back on. But you will need head gaskets and a torque wrench for your head bolts when you re-install.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
10 May 2020 14:09 - 10 May 2020 14:14 #825402 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Fudge!!!
I'd avoid moving the pistons just in case it is in the cylinder. As Steve said, you should be able to get it through the plug hole with a flexible magnetic pickup (like this thing: www.walmart.ca/en/ip/40cm-Telescopic-Mag...2pcs/PRD1INPX2XLTOBL ). Should work regardless of the position of the piston (although I would think TDC would be harder).
Last edit: 10 May 2020 14:14 by calum.

More
10 May 2020 14:22 #825403 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Fudge!!!
Did you check around in the fins? Might have crawled in there somewhere. Also, I have caught nuts and bolts in my trousers and the top of my boots many times. Even in the laces. Last week I dropped a nut,it bounced off the edge of the table went through a hole in my shirt and landed in my pocket. I kid you not. They can be cheeky little buggers.
Also, I agree with Calum about not moving the pistons.More for the safety of the valve.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
11 May 2020 07:23 #825452 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Fudge!!!
Stock size of that screw on a Z1 is 6x18mm. Assuming a KZ1K is the same:

Don't turn the motor.
The intake runner is fairly long but not very deep. Use an inspection mirror that will allow you to see the length of the intake runner all the way to the top of the valve head with good lighting. If the screw is in there you should be able to see it. Fish with an articulated magnet extension. 'Feel' for the screw head if the valve is open. If you drop that piston as described below, you don't want the valve closing on the screw.

A stock cam has ~8mm lift IIRC. Even if the valve was a full lift, at worst the screw shank might drop between the valve head & seat, but the screw head probably won't pass between them.

If a performance cam that has lift of ~10mm is in the motor & the valve was at full lift that changes things, 'cause the screw head might be able to pass through to open valve & into the cylinder.
Make certain the screw is not in the intake runner or between the valve & it's seat. If the valve was at full lift, it might have been able to pass into the cylinder. Then, turn the motor whichever direction is needed to drop (lower) the piston to arrive at the neighborhood of BDC. A borescope could then be used to inspect for the screw, or fish for it gently with a magnet extension. Take your time & sweep the full circle of the bore. If the screw is in there you should be able to feel it sorta 'click' when it attaches to the magnet.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
11 May 2020 08:41 #825457 by Kofla
Replied by Kofla on topic Fudge!!!
Don't turn the engine.

You can purchase a cheap borescope at Autozone, Home Depot, Wlamart, Amazon, etc. Some borescope cameras can be used attached to a smartphone.

1978 Kawasaki KZ-1000 LTD

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
12 May 2020 16:38 #825564 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Fudge!!!
If the intake valve is open the piston is on its way down

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
12 May 2020 17:02 #825572 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Fudge!!!
Maybe a very powerful vacuum with attachment to fit the intake hole, also with a screen to catch bolt before it enters vacuum bag. :huh:

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
13 May 2020 00:03 #825603 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Fudge!!!
I would try to turn the engine upside down. What ever fall in will fall out.

More
13 May 2020 08:21 #825628 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Fudge!!!
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine