So, I forgot about the tensioner

More
21 Apr 2020 17:34 - 21 Apr 2020 17:47 #823876 by kz-recruit
So, I forgot about the tensioner was created by kz-recruit
So, as much as I don't want to admit it, I rushed a valve adjustment and didn't take the tensioner off prior to putting the valve cover back. I obviously turned the engine over several times prior to the cover going back on. Then ran it.

I am planning on removing the valve cover again and taking the tension off then putting everything back together. Other than checking the guides in the cover and chain for at stretching is there anything else I need to do?

Just to make sure I'm not over thinking it the valve cover has to come off to make sure everything reset and is still in good shape?

91 KZ1000P
05 S40

Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 17:47 by kz-recruit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
21 Apr 2020 19:52 #823882 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic So, I forgot about the tensioner
I would check the tensioner and be done with it. If the cam chain is gonna fail I would imagine it would have happened by now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kz-recruit

More
21 Apr 2020 20:07 - 21 Apr 2020 20:10 #823883 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic So, I forgot about the tensioner
No need to pull the tensioner, just remove the 17mm hex cap, spring, and then pull back on the wedge. This should be done before installing the valve cover. After the cover is on reinstall the parts.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 20:10 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, kz-recruit

More
24 Apr 2020 11:31 #824150 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic So, I forgot about the tensioner
Like Ed said, no need to pull the tensioner... just the 17mm cap. Once the cap is removed, the spring tension will be gone and the wedges will move as necessary. You don't need to remove the valve cover either. Just remove the tensioner cap and replace it. Anything that happened has happened. Just put it back and run it. There's a good chance it will run just fine.