1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice

• iWant2RideMyBike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I just want to ride and have a good time doin it.
More
17 Apr 2020 06:36 #823523 by iWant2RideMyBike
1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice was created by iWant2RideMyBike
If this is in the wrong category, I apologize. I'm in the midst of slowly restoring my 1980 KZ440 LTD D (belt model) and I've been thinking of getting the aftermarket 2 into 2 MAC exhaust system. Has anybody in particular done this on a 440 and if so, do you have any advice?

My exhaust pipes aren't in the worst shape ever, but the right muffler is completely rotted through on the exit hole and it's beginning to rust through on the insides by the frame. It takes away from the bikes aesthetic considerably, and is super loud on the highway so I want to get this done. My only problem is that I shudder at the though of rejetting. Right now, the bike runs like a dream. The throttle response is like butter and the idle is absolutely perfect. It's very well behaved, but that didn't happen overnight and the thought of stabbing in the dark to try and get that back by rejetting keeps me at bay.

So again, if anybody has any advice or knowledge to either, A) make this an easier decision for me B ) Reassure me that rejetting won't be necessary C) Offer your personal experience with this or D) All the above , I would be grateful. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2020 07:20 - 18 Apr 2020 05:06 #823525 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice
There's a NOS OEM 440 muffler system on EB right now. Not sure how the cost compares to a new Mac system. even if it's more, it should be less trouble.

1980 KZ440 mufflers. From Canada. approx. $330T.
K2300 PAIR of MUFFLER for KAWASAKI KZ440, 1980
Last edit: 18 Apr 2020 05:06 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iWant2RideMyBike

• iWant2RideMyBike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2020 08:49 #823529 by iWant2RideMyBike
Replied by iWant2RideMyBike on topic 1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

martin_csr wrote: There's a NOS OEM 440 muffler system on EB right now. Not sure how the cost compares to a new Mac system. even if it's more, it should be less trouble.

..... 1980 KZ440 mufflers. From Canada. approx. $330T.

Hey, that's not such a bad idea and thanks for the link! At least with these I wouldn't need to rejet (hopefully)! They're cheaper than the MAC system too, even when you add on the $70 dollar shipping.

More
17 Apr 2020 09:32 #823535 by martin_csr
I did not do an exhaustive search (pardon the pun), so I don't know what else is available & I don't know if that cost is reasonable for a 440. Just guessing, I'd say yes.

More
17 Apr 2020 11:01 #823538 by Grcko
Replied by Grcko on topic 1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice
Having had to replace my two into one and re-jet my 440 to bring to stock ; I have replaced my pipes twice. Hard to find a good right side pipe. Those pipes are awesome and I would definitely jump on those.

As Always,

1983 KZ440

• iWant2RideMyBike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2020 13:49 #823551 by iWant2RideMyBike

Grcko wrote: Having had to replace my two into one and re-jet my 440 to bring to stock ; I have replaced my pipes twice. Hard to find a good right side pipe. Those pipes are awesome and I would definitely jump on those.

Yes, I think this is the route I'm going to take. I wasn't really planning on spending $320 dollars today, but I've not come across such a clean OEM pair before. Speaking of the right hand pipe, why exactly does it have all those circles in it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I don't know enough about exhaust systems to understand their significance.

• iWant2RideMyBike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2020 14:20 #823554 by iWant2RideMyBike
I must have lost my mind, but I just bought the OEM pipes. I know that I will regret it if I walk on these, and then a year from now they totally rotted through and I'm in for a massive headache because I didn't take advantage of the cleanest original OEM pipes I'd ever saw.

Looks like my 1980 KZ440, whom I call Eleanor, will be getting yet another face lift here soon. I just dropped over $300 on getting her tires and having them installed. While the tires were off, I went and worked through the entire bike and cleaned her up. I think I'll start a project thread soon and share the journey/progress I've made so far. She's getting closer and closer to showroom quality!

A special big Thank You to martin_csr for finding those pipes for me, by the way! I you just made a huge impact on my day and on my bike, and I'm very appreciative for the help! :cheer:
Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2020 16:15 - 18 Apr 2020 04:22 #823563 by martin_csr
The price does't seem that bad to me for NOS & OEM.
To deter rust you could treat them with an exhaust coating >> I used Rustoleum silver bar-b-que grill paint on a very nice used KZ750E system. see pics. In addition to the manifold section chrome, I cleaned & sprayed the insides. I did not sand the chrome or anything. kinda surprised the paint hasn't peeled off.

Last edit: 18 Apr 2020 04:22 by martin_csr.

More
17 Apr 2020 17:02 #823565 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic 1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice

martin_csr wrote: The price does't seem that bad to me for NOS & OEM.
To deter rust you could treat them with an exhaust coating >> I used Rustoleum silver bar-b-que grill paint on a very nice used KZ750E system. see pics. In addition to the manifold section, I cleaned & sprayed the insides. I did not sand the chrome or anything. kinda surprised the paint hasn't peeled off the chrome.

He'll be able to use that to preserve the original crossover pipe. :)

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

More
18 Apr 2020 04:32 #823575 by martin_csr
The spray paint coated the crossover section pretty good, inside & out. But for the insides next time, I'll probably use a high heat paint that comes in a can & just pour it in. The rustoleum worked, but using a funnel will be easier than trying to spray it inside the pipes. I would still use the spray paint on the hidden areas of chrome.

More
18 Apr 2020 06:08 #823585 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice
If you are worried about long-term condition of the pipes, then OEM is the way to go. A set of good condition ones will outlast Mac stuff by a long shot. The Mac exhaust I bought started to show signs of rust by the end of one season. They are ok pipes but you really only get what you pay for. The OEM stuff is way stronger and will last longer... the only downside with them is that they are heavier...which is probably why they last longer in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
18 Apr 2020 07:02 #823590 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1980 KZ440 LTD Mac 2 into 2 Advice
The original factory exhaust system on my 1977 KZ650 is still in great condition, and I suspect one reason is the fact that it is double walled. That is to say there is a second set of pipes inside the outer pipes that one sees when looking at the exhaust. This prevents the pipes one sees from turning blue unless there is significant over heating. I could be wrong, but I would expect the original pipes on the KZ400 to be made in the same fashion. Consequently, they should last pretty much forever although there is a weight penalty for such a robust exhaust system. The image below shows one end of one of the stock header pipes. I don't know of any aftermarket exhaust system made with double walled pipes. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments: