• Page:

TOPIC:

ring gap tolerance 28 Mar 2020 16:28 #822064

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
hello I disassembled a kz engine with an 82 mm MTC kit due to a gasket oil leak, now I need to know the maximum the gap for the ring so it still be usable.I meed to know the gap in mm or thou as I am not good doing the math and formula I am dyslexic
thanks
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sayonara.

ring gap tolerance 28 Mar 2020 17:25 #822065

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Check with MTC directly .. Ring gaps vary due to type of use . ..Racing , street ,
More motor information would help us steer you right

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

ring gap tolerance 30 Mar 2020 16:14 #822228

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
I am going to use it for street
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

ring gap tolerance 30 Mar 2020 17:26 #822231

• Street Fighter LTD

Sayonara wrote: I am going to use it for street

Which bike / motor .
And what else has been done to the bike / motor

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

ring gap tolerance 30 Mar 2020 18:58 #822236

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
is a kz 1000 engine I have 2 ported heads one with 380/390 cams over bucket and have one with 465/450 cams shims under bucket. I have rs 40 or 34 depending of what I choose to use, the crank is welded and the gear box under cut. cylinder is Oringed for copper gasket, I will use APE chain iddler extra plate clutch kit from APE and barnet springs, I also have stock springs with a single stage lock up clutch.
I have not decided yet the degree of tuning I am going to apply as I ave spares there but I want to have the engine assembled, before I disassembled the engine was scary fast with a set of vm33. and 450/440 cams and a kerker comp.
I just want to know if those rings still have life on them or not since MTC stop making 82 mm pistons and rings, if I can't use them then either I go and spend the money on a 1428 kit or use a 1075 kit I Have laying around.
Thanks

Last edit: by Sayonara.

ring gap tolerance 30 Mar 2020 20:49 #822243

• Street Fighter LTD
See the attached pdf file from MTC site
It should have all the information you will need regarding piston to wall clearance and ring gaping
Dave

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Sorry , Tried twice . Go to MTC site and they have it online with what you need

Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.
  • Page: