Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 14:12 #821731

• JohnLuke
  • JohnLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
  • Thank you received: 5
For some reason my oil light is coming on gradually as I revs increase. The light is one as it should when I stat it it goes off as it should but I when I rev the engine or when the rpm increases the light gradually comes on. My second question is it an oil pressure gauge or a oil level gauge?

Thanks! Y’all have helped me so much over the years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 14:40 #821733

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
According to the parts diagrams the 83 spectre has an oil level switch fitted to the oil pan. The oil pressure switch that is fitted to the KZ750 E & H etc. isn't in the diagrams so I assume it's just an oil level light. If there is a sensor under the timing cap, then I'm probably wrong and there is a pressure switch as well.
When did this start happening? Is your oil level OK? Did you change the type of oil you use?
It could of course just be an electrical problem. The switch will provide the ground connection for the light. I may start to ground out due to the vibrations. Check the wiring under the oil pan.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 14:47 #821734

• calum
  • User
Here is the oil level switch on the spectre:

And you can just see the oil pressure switch under the pickup coils on my 750H here:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 14:50 #821735

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Oh okay. Yeah it’s the oil level switched. I just did an oil change so I’m not sure why it’s doing that.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 15:33 #821737

• calum
  • User
If you just did an oil change then I would suggest double checking the level. Then maybe check the wiring. See if you can get the light to go on/off when you wiggle the switch wire.

Last edit: by calum.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 15:51 #821740

• calum
  • User
Here's a table from the KZ750 manual. It's in the 83 model supplement but I'm not sure if it applies to the spectre (only the H, L and ZX models are referred to specifically). If you have two leads going into the sensor you can test the resistance between them and make sure it is in range. If you only have one wire, you can probably test resistance between the wire and a clean spot on the oil pan (but I'm not sure you can go by the values in the table).

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 15:55 #821742

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I double checked the oil level and it’s about 3/4 up the site glass. I haven’t checked the wiring yet. But I do know when I unplug it it stays on continuously.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 16:16 #821746

• calum
  • User
OK, I would assume that the warner unit detects the disconnected wire and grounds the light to turn it on. It may be a fault in the sensor. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but the oil level in the pan should drop slightly when you rev the bike. It may be that the sensor it just a bit off and thinks that the level is too low. You could test the resistance of the sensor but you need to remove it which would mean draining the oil again. There is a page describing how to test the sensor in the manual.

If the sensor is just reading a bit low, then you could just fill the oil to the top mark on the sight glass and see if it gets any better (or drain some oil to the lowest point and see if the light is always on). Stay within the marks though :)

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 16:37 #821748

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I can lay the bike on it’s side and remove the sensor. But I’ll be honest I’m not sure how to test it.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 16:55 #821751

• calum
  • User
Page 326 in the KZ750 fours manual:

Attachments:

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 18:17 #821762

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Just got done checking the sensor and it seems to be working correctly. When I have it right side up the volt meter shows nothing and doesn’t beep. Once I turn it upside down the volt meter starts reading and it beeps.
The reading shows a bunch of numbers then bottoms out at 0.00 Ohms. Which it’s supposed to do. So maybe my oil is still actually low. Idk I’m gonna buy some more oil and see if adding some helps.

Last edit: by JohnLuke.

1983 KZ750N Spectre oil light comes on when I rev the engine. 25 Mar 2020 19:14 #821769

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I just put another brand of oil in it cuz that’s all I had. I put an extra 1/4 of a quart and that seemed to do nothing. Still, the oil light comes on gradually as the rpms increase.

• Page: