KZ700 Engine Rattle

More
19 Mar 2020 14:00 #821237 by MaineKZ
KZ700 Engine Rattle was created by MaineKZ
Hi - I started my 84 KZ700 for the first time since winter. I’m getting a distinct engine rattle that wasn’t there last fall. It’s hard to tell where it’s coming from. Sounds worse at idle.

I took the valve cover off. Everything looks good, valves in adjustment, timing good.

The bike has a manual cam chain adjuster. Adjusting it while running does not affect the sound.

The only thing that’s I noticed is that the starter is acting funky. When I try to start it, sometimes the starter just clicks, sometimes it works. Would it be possible that the starter is hanging up somehow making the noise.?

I know this is not much to go on, but any ideas?

Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2020 14:42 #821238 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ700 Engine Rattle
The primary chain will rattle at idle if the carbs are not in synch or letting it idle when the engine is cold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MaineKZ

More
19 Mar 2020 16:08 #821244 by MaineKZ
Replied by MaineKZ on topic KZ700 Engine Rattle

baldy110 wrote: The primary chain will rattle at idle if the carbs are not in synch or letting it idle when the engine is cold.

Thanks for the tip. After some more research on this site, it sounds like it might be the primary chain. I’m going to let it warm up tomorrow and see if the sound goes away...