Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Auto cam chain adjuster 07 Jan 2020 22:26 #816674

• Kz81
  • Kz81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm in the process of checking/adjusting the valve clearances on my 81 kz1000j. Using the fiddly motion pro tool to remove the shims. I didn't use the little lever to depress the bucket. I used the cam lobe to depress the bucket, slid the batwing under the edge of the bucket and then backed the cam lobe off. I sometimes turned the engine over backwards if the batwing failed to catch the edge of the bucket rather than go all the way back around. Is this a problem? Also, the fsm doesn't say anything about loosening/resetting the automatic cam chain tensioner as part checking the valve clearances. Should I reset it before I try to put the valve cover back on? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auto cam chain adjuster 07 Jan 2020 23:39 #816675

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

Kz81 wrote:
Should I reset it before I try to put the valve cover back on? Thanks!

Yes, everytime when you lift the valve cover and turn over the crankshaft the slack/play of the cam chain between the IN/EX cams will compensate by the cam chain tensioner.

Auto cam chain adjuster 07 Jan 2020 23:52 #816676

• Kz81
  • User
The fsm doesn't really explain much about the auto tensioner removal/resetting. Can I reset it without removing it? Will it come apart when it comes out?

Auto cam chain adjuster 08 Jan 2020 08:41 #816692

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Like Sirocco mentioned you cannot rotate the cams with the cover removed on the J model. Well you can but that could lead to the chain slipping on the cam gears. I cut up a spare cam cover to use the upper guide to keep the tension on the chain. No the cam chain tensioner will not come apart when it's removed. It has to be removed to reset it.

Auto cam chain adjuster 08 Jan 2020 13:00 #816716

• Kz81
  • User
At least the tensioner can be reset. What puzzles me is that the factory service manual shows the whole process of removing the valve cover, rotating the camshaft as necessary to check/adjust/replace shims etc., but doesn't mention one word of caution about the cam tensioner needing to be reset before putting the cover back on. I think the 550 or 650 manual might mention it. If it weren't for reading about it on this forum, I would have never known about this issue. I'm glad I am a member!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Auto cam chain adjuster 08 Jan 2020 16:07 #816734

• Kz81
  • User
I reset the auto tensioner before putting the valve cover on. That put plenty of slack in the chain. After installing the cover, I hand rotated the engine several revolutions to take up the slack. Put everything back together and the bike fired right up. It runs smooth and quiet. Only 8900 miles on the bike.
Attachments:

• Page: