Liska Top Idler Problem

More
24 Nov 2019 21:45 #814505 by Rick H.
Liska Top Idler Problem was created by Rick H.
A number of months ago I purchased a Liska top idler assembly in anticipation of replacing my stock idler when I rebuilt the engine. Well I finally got to the point in the process where I installed the Liska top idler assembly today along with the Liska billet support blocks for the idler assembly. I discovered when I went to fit the cam cover on the engine that it won't clear the frame and Liska top idler assembly. There is certainly a difference in design between the stock idler housing and the Liska housing, but I haven't had a chance to measure them yet. This is the only style idler assembly Liska makes for the 900/1000cc engine. I have included a picture of each. Has anyone else had this problem before and how did you correct it if so, or am I missing something here? I am thinking of just swapping out the two housings, but I don't know if that will work. Thanks for any help.

Rick H.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Nov 2019 21:53 #814506 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Liska Top Idler Problem
It's a very tight fit. I had to undo the coil on the left side and work it off and on. It helps to fit the cover cocked sideways so that the top fits inside the two back bones of the frame. You should be able to do it that way.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

More
25 Nov 2019 10:21 #814528 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Liska Top Idler Problem
You were correct Steve, it IS a very tight fit compared to the OEM idler tower. I ended up taking off the throttle return cable which gave me just enough space to wiggle it in at an angle from the left. Thanks for the help. Surprisingly the coils weren't in the way at all.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest