Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Erratic Speed, misfire, I dunno. 23 Nov 2019 13:35 #814410

• AdvEvryWhr
  • AdvEvryWhr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Maybe engine, maybe electrical, maybe both. No idea.

So out of the blue, my 83 kz550 became low on power and kept dying. When I could get it running, It would accelerate very sluggish and want to stall. When I could get higher into the rpm range, it would act as if I was WOT and then chop the throttle closed. This is with me holding the throttle open steady.

I went through the carb today and did a full rebuild. I dont think it needed it, but a couple bowl gaskets were weeping so I did all the work while I had the carb out anyways.

No change in performance or symptoms. Still a bucking bronco

Top end was rebuilt 600 miles ago. No issues, no oil consumption, starts easy cold or hot

Now that fuel has been ruled out, I am leaning towards electrical. ITs a pretty simple system, but before I go diagnosing everything, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had an issue similar to this.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AdvEvryWhr.

Erratic Speed, misfire, I dunno. 24 Nov 2019 05:19 #814441

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
It may be one of your coils is shot. If you can start your bike you should pull #1 plug. If the bike wants to die then that coil is probably OK. Then try #2 plug. If it starts to die then your coils are OK. If there is no difference then you've found your problem.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdvEvryWhr

Erratic Speed, misfire, I dunno. 24 Nov 2019 06:16 #814444

• AdvEvryWhr
  • User
Ill look into it! This bike came to me in a box and the plug wires and coils are not OEM or anything I saw on z1. Seems to do this when the motor warms up fully.

Thank again!

Erratic Speed, misfire, I dunno. 24 Nov 2019 09:09 #814457

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Another easy thing to do is to use a spray bomb to spray water on the pipes when the engine is warmed up. If it vaporizes then you know it's firing. If it doesn't vaporize on contact then you have a firing issue with that cylinder.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Erratic Speed, misfire, I dunno. 01 Dec 2019 12:54 #814810

• AdvEvryWhr
  • User
Just an update for anyone coming along with a similar symptom. I thought about whipping out the multimeter and going through diagnostics, but decided on the old fashioned method of throwing money at it. Based on input here and my previous experience, I opted to replace the ignition coils as its a 10 minute job and used ones are cheap.

In hind sight, I did have the issue sporadically a few months back. It became more and more frequent until this latest fuss where the bike was more or less unridable.

Again, symptoms felt like the bike was being flooded, under powered, failed to idle after warmed up, and if I held the throttle at the same position, it would feel underpowered and then suddenly go wide open for a few seconds and then back to underpower. back and forth... like a bucking bronco

Replaced both ignition coils with a used set off ebay for $30 and she is back to normal! woohoo!

Erratic Speed, misfire, I dunno. 01 Dec 2019 16:28 #814816

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Hooray for cheap and easy!!
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: