Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch question and engine question 10 Nov 2019 10:12 #813797

• Sardonicus
  • Sardonicus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have posted a few times on this forum and everyone has always been super helpful. I picked up a 1976 KZ750 twin a couple years ago that hasnt seen the road since the mid 80s and I am ecstatic to report that I finally have it running! Kinda. Its got no mufflers right now so it is quite loud when its running and for awhile I could only get it to run on one cylinder - which I thought was an enormous victory the first time. I changed out most of the guts of the ignition system with a transistorized ignition that is working phenomenally. Now that I have finally gotten around to working on this bike again I got it running on one cylinder and then I got the other cylinder running only sometimes its as if they dont really want to run together. What boggles my mind is if I remove the spark plug to kill one cylinder the other will run with no problems and then if I do the same with the other cylinder it will also run perfectly, try to run them at the same time and only one wants to idle properly. After it warms up a bit the other cylinder will sometimes join in with the idle but not always consistently. However if you give it some gas both cylinders will take right off like it has a soul. Both carbs have been rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned. I'm up for any input on what its doing.

My clutch question is - what kinds of adjustments are typical with these clutches. Know up front that I have no experience on motorcycles. I am asking about this because once I got the engine running I turned the idle up to about 2k rpm and ran it through the gears up on the center stand. Shifting down to first went fine and then shifting up through the gears went fine but when I go to shift back down through the gears again towards neutral I noticed a couple things. Firstly sometimes it doesnt really want to click into gear when shifting down, but its not every time. Also - and this may just be my inexperience - but it seems like once you disengage the clutch after the wheels been spinning that there is a considerable drag somewhere because the wheel doesnt want to free spin much at all. It may just be normal but my first thought was that perhaps the clutch isnt completely disengaging when you pull it.
1976 KZ750 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch question and engine question 10 Nov 2019 19:47 #813832

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
The clutch adjustment procedure is described in the factory manual. Follow it exactly.

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/K...l%20KZ750%20Twin.pdf
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sardonicus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: