Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Camshaft cover leaking 07 Nov 2019 09:52 #813676

• moroboshi1196
  • moroboshi1196's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So recently I've found some oil underneath my bike, and after i start the bike up and the exhaust pipe start to get hot it smoke! The oil that dripped on the exhaust pipe is burning off. If my judgement is correct the oil is coming out of the camshaft cover. Any advice on what the problem may actually be and how to fix it? Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Camshaft cover leaking 07 Nov 2019 10:06 #813678

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Could be the a leaking of the worm gear seal of the tach drive.

Here is a pic of an KZ750 twin worm gear drive.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Camshaft cover leaking 21 Nov 2019 17:21 #814329

• moroboshi1196
  • moroboshi1196's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry for the late reply, so I pulled the tach cable and it is indeed a leaking seal, i bought new seals and rings and all, but now there is a new problem, the whole tach gear is stuck and i cant get it out, is there any way to get it out easily? Thanks

Camshaft cover leaking 21 Nov 2019 17:27 #814330

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Did you try removing the valve cover and pushing out the gear from the inside out? Removing the cover will give you an opportunity to check/adjust the valves too.

Camshaft cover leaking 21 Nov 2019 19:07 #814333

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
The tach gear meshes with a gear on the exhaust cam. If the two gears are engaged you may not be able to remove the tach gear without rotating the cam. If you have a kick starter you can rotate the cams by turning the kicker. If you don't have a kick starter you can remove the timing cover and rotate the engine with the bolt you will see when you remove the cover.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Camshaft cover leaking 21 Nov 2019 19:16 #814334

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
The gear will come out without rotating the engine.

Camshaft cover leaking 25 Nov 2019 20:13 #814564

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
On my KZ1000, the drive was stuck as though welded to the head, and this was 30yrs ago. I could imagine and expect more stuck after years pass. I never got mine off, but had a missing flat paper gasket between the cable and drive that no one seems to even care of, but by replacing the paper gasket I had no more leak, so never removed the stuck on drive.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Camshaft cover leaking 26 Nov 2019 18:32 #814624

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
If that tach gear housing , or guide as Kawasaki calls it, has a hex head on it you may be able to get a socket or wrench on it and gently turn it from side to side to try and free it up. It may just be stuck in the hole from a build up of old oil that has caked up over time. You may want to give it a shot of some penetrating oil such as Kroil to help the process. I don't know how much room you have to work with though.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Camshaft cover leaking 27 Nov 2019 12:35 #814665

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154

RonKZ650 wrote: On my KZ1000, the drive was stuck as though welded to the head, and this was 30yrs ago. I could imagine and expect more stuck after years pass. I never got mine off, but had a missing flat paper gasket between the cable and drive that no one seems to even care of, but by replacing the paper gasket I had no more leak, so never removed the stuck on drive.

Plus 1 on the paper gasket, i have had a slight leak on all of my big Zeds at this point and made the gaskets on each one, leak cured every time.

• Page: