Piston Supports For Kawasaki Factory Ring Compressor

More
31 Oct 2019 14:10 #813337 by Rick H.
Several months ago I bought a KZ-1000 factory piston ring compressor from a character on Ebay. The tool wasn't taken care of very well and required a bit of TLC to get it up to speed. I didn't know it at the time, but apparently to use this tool Kawasaki included some wire piston supports that went under the pistons when using the tool. Does anyone know what diameter wire Kawasaki used in those supports? It appears it had to be pretty thin material. I am not sure if I will ever use this thing or not, but if I do I would like to have the supports for it. Thanks...

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2019 15:31 #813341 by DFIGPZ
bend metal coat hanger in a "U" and put under pistons.

1984 750 Turbo

More
31 Oct 2019 16:24 #813342 by Rick H.
Okay got it. I was thinking of some brazing rod, but a coat hanger is cheaper. I thought they needed to be a bit thicker in diameter. Thank you.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 Oct 2019 17:01 #813343 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Piston Supports For Kawasaki Factory Ring Compressor
The originals were actually thinner than a coat hanger but a coathanger would work fine. There are two of them...one for each side. They go underneath the pistons from the left and right sides of the engine to hold the pistons upright when sliding the cylinder block down.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.