Starter clutch

More
08 Oct 2019 09:29 #812063 by MAR-VEL
Starter clutch was created by MAR-VEL
Hey guys....I'm replacing the starter clutch on my 1981 KZ750 , the previous owner gave me some spare parts among them wrapped up in paper was a starter clutch which I was going to use although It looked as though It had be used before but looks to be In good condition along with the springs the sleeves and the round discs , so after putting the starter clutch together something didn't seem right after looking at It for five minuets I saw the difference the " new used " plate was the opposite of the original WTF . So Is the "new used" one of a different bike or were they changed somewhere down the production line ?
In the pic the bottom one Is the original . Kicker Is there docent seem to be a lot wrong withe the one I am going to replace .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2019 12:39 - 08 Oct 2019 12:43 #812067 by luckybil
Replied by luckybil on topic Starter clutch
Well Congrats on getting this far, I finally got the flywheel off my kz1100 just last night after a few attempts in the last month or so.. Having the puller was key, but dang holding the flywheel steady was a mother. First thing i see though was the needle bearing has a couple pins that are wasted. Not much of a help for ya bud, but It isnt broke dont fix it... LoL unless you happen to break off a piece of the flywheel magnet, I did last month. Just JB Weld that piece back in and pray... Sorry to hijack your post, but does anyone have a suggestion for the needle bearing replacement? Are these standard size bearings that can be obtained at say the local Granger or a bearing shop. I see i can obtain one for less than 20 bucks, but that seems excessive to me. Here is a picture of my scoot and my old one i wish now i kept. just showing off.

life is funny and bee's make honey, true,, true...
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2019 12:43 by luckybil. Reason: no picture

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Oct 2019 13:39 - 08 Oct 2019 13:40 #812072 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Starter clutch
Looks like your "new old" starter clutch is out of an KZ750 twin engine. All Kawasaki twin engines cranks are rotating counter clockwise and four cylinder engines clockwise.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2019 13:40 by Scirocco.