KZ550 shaft to chain drive

More
05 Oct 2019 15:43 #811876 by Pagala
KZ550 shaft to chain drive was created by Pagala
Hi guys. I have a question about what's involved in the process of converting a 550 from shaft drive to chain drive.

The engine I have in mind is my 1983 Kawasaki GT550 (a bike widely sold in the UK, which is mechanically equivalent to the KZ550 Spectre shaft-drive model in the USA).
I haven't decided to do this, but I'm entertaining lots of different ideas at the moment. There is nothing wrong with my bike.

Supposing someone were to decide to do this, and lining up the chain and swingarm weren't an issue, would there by anything wrong with this plan:
1) Remove engine from bike.
2) Take out all the crankcase retaining bolts from above and below, but leave the head and cylinder block in place, and remove the shaft drive gear assembly.
3) Tilt the engine upside down.
4) Pull off the lower crankcase half from underneath, and take out the output shaft.
5) Put in an output shaft from a chain-driven 550 (I checked, and the output shafts for the chain-driven 550s all have the same part number).
6) Bolt it all back together.
7) Attach a front sprocket, and sprocket retaining clip.
8) Fabricate a side cover from sheet steel, and attach it.

The reason I'm asking this is, I've read conflicting info about this on the internet. Some people say that the only difference between the shaft and chain 550s is a longer output shaft on the shaft ones (to allow the damping cams inside the shaft drive gear to go on).
However, others say that a shift drum from a chain 550 would also be needed. It's a bit confusing because I understand there are differences between the 550s and the bigger fours, but I'm not sure what they are.

It would be enormously helpful if anyone could clear things up. I've got the workshop manual and have read everything relating to the transmission and final drive. The manual doesn't say it's possible to split cases while leaving alone the top end. Also, looking at pictures of the output shaft on these shaft-driven bikes (Kawasaki part number 131281043), it's tempting to assume that it might be possible to fabricate a length of tubing, and use it in conjunction with a locking washer, to stick a sprocket on these output shafts. The normal way to install a drive sprocket on chain-driven Kawasakis is to use that backing plate and a sort of circlip. But would it be possible to do that using the longer output shaft that the shaft bikes have , and would it line up with the rear sprocket correctly (if those people who claim that the only difference between shaft and chain bikes is the length of the output shaft, then it should be possible)?

I'm just thinking about possibilities for future projects. Many thanks

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.