Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam Chain Component Question 17 Aug 2019 13:04 #809330

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Okay, so a question to the most knowledgeable group of vintage Kawasaki owners around. I had to take the head off my KZ-1000 and send it to APE for some work. They are going to do the typical work on it including replacing all the exhaust valves, guides and seals etc. Obviously this would be a good time to take the cylinders off and go through the inspection process and decide if I should put new rings in and possibly pistons based on what is found. It is also an opportune time to replace cam chain parts including the pulleys. Is there any real advantage to installing Liska style pulleys and idler in a more or less stock engine, or should I just hunt up OEM cam chain components for this? Thanks in advance....
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam Chain Component Question 17 Aug 2019 14:41 #809349

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
If your OEM parts are in good shape use them. The problem is when they are shot the OEM ones are hard to find and more $$$ than Liska parts. You can get used OEM ones at a reasonable price but then they are used. I just put my KZ900 engine together. Every tensioner part was shot. I bought all Liska parts, they were just under $500.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Rick H.

Last edit: by baldy110.

Cam Chain Component Question 17 Aug 2019 19:38 #809367

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
I always replaced my cam chain when I split the cases , since this is a rare opportunity
to access the endless chain . Cheap insurance
When parts needed I use Liska too.
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Cam Chain Component Question 17 Aug 2019 20:14 #809368

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Don't buy used cam chain parts. Not worth the risk. I use Liska's as well. 1/2 the price of OEM.
Steve

Cam Chain Component Question 17 Aug 2019 20:24 #809369

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I recently replaced the top idler on one of my Z1B's. I went with OEM...still available. I figured the original lasted almost 45 years so the replacement would last as many years as I have left.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Cam Chain Component Question 18 Aug 2019 04:13 #809381

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
If you replace the idlers etc then go for the solid Liska or PMC type as they are much cheaper and have no rubber parts to fail.
The Liska tensioner also replaces the rubber tensioner wheel with a sprocket.
They will also last more or less forever as the only part that can fail is the replaceable roller bearing.
The only rubber parts that you have to replace like for like is the roller under the barrels and the front guide which are relatively cheap.
I'd also chuck the old rubber mounts for the top idler and use solid billet ones and fit a HD camchain while you're in there.
Reports that the solid idlers run a little noisier than stock is exaggerated as I have them in all my engines and you wouldn't know it.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Cam Chain Component Question 18 Aug 2019 10:19 #809391

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Thank you much gents. You have made my decision making much easier. Liska parts it is including the solid idler mounts. And Zed 1015 thanks for the info on the bottom rubber wheel. I didn't know if that one was replaceable with anything else.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• Page: