Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 08 Aug 2019 16:38 #808932

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Does anyone have an opinion as to where to obtain the best replacement engine side cover screw set for a '77 KZ-1000? I want to stay with the standard screw heads for originality and there are several different ones available. Thanks for any suggestions.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 08 Aug 2019 18:29 #808935

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
You might ask Z1Enterprises to see what they have. Below is a sample. Ed

www.z1enterprises.com/bolt-screw-set-eng...s-z1-kz900-1000.html
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw, Rick H.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 08 Aug 2019 19:18 #808937

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
As far as I am aware you can buy the screws from Kawasaki. That's where I get them for my Z1's.

Check out the fiches at Partzilla.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...1-b-z1/engine-covers
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 08 Aug 2019 20:39 #808938

• BCScott
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 97

hardrockminer wrote: As far as I am aware you can buy the screws from Kawasaki. That's where I get them for my Z1's.

Check out the fiches at Partzilla.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...1-b-z1/engine-covers

That's what I do. If Partzilla carries it (ie not "not available"), so does the closest Kawasaki dealer. Sometimes it's still cheaper to order from Partzilla including shipping costs than from the dealer.
Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 09 Aug 2019 05:16 #808944

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
The best way to keep the screw heads nice is to use JIS screwdrivers rather than Phillips. You can buy a good set of JIS screwdrivers from Z1 Enterprises.

When I replace screws I usually run a tap down the hole and then blow it out with some carb cleaner. This makes installing the new screw much easier.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott, Rick H.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 09 Aug 2019 07:15 #808947

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2066
The proper tools and chasing the threads in all the holes is good advice.

Z1E carries a nice selection of tools for these old bikes,.

www.z1enterprises.com/catalog/product/vi...-of-three-144-244-3/
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 09 Aug 2019 07:19 #808948

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2066
Looks like the screws are still available from Kawasaki, so you can get the real deal. This is for the standard, though I bet the LTD is the same. I don't know which you have. It would be helpful to have that information in your signature line.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...vers-79-80-a3-a3a-a4
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 09 Aug 2019 07:35 #808951

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

650ed wrote: You might ask Z1Enterprises to see what they have. Below is a sample. Ed

www.z1enterprises.com/bolt-screw-set-eng...s-z1-kz900-1000.html

WOW, that's CHEAP for all of those fasteners. It would cost quite a bit to buy all of those in OEM form. I wonder what the quality is like?
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 09 Aug 2019 14:24 #808968

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
There is a company that sells Phillip's head screw kits, but I can't remember the name. Some time with Google should shake them out.

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 11 Aug 2019 07:44 #809028

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Well following the advice of some I checked the prices on Partzilla for a total of 43 screws that are needed. I am sure there are a few more that I missed in the parts break down. The Partzilla price is over $50.00. The Z1E price for their screw package including some bolts is round $15.00. Think I will try the Z1E package first and see how they are. Thanks to all...

As a side note to this, I was unaware of the JIS screw situation until I started thinking about getting an old Z1 or KZ-1000 and did some reading. All I ever used on these bikes before was a standard Phillips head screw driver. Ironically, when I bought my '77 KZ-1000 the previous owner told me the engine had NEVER been apart, yet every screw on the engine was buggered up from a standard Phillips head screw driver being used on them. A fin was broken off the cylinder block from being pried on I am sure and a distinct gouge mark from a straight bladed screw driver is present right under the 1015CC block casting. So much for truth and honesty when dealing with someone 2000 miles away.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Last edit: by Rick H..

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 12 Aug 2019 10:29 #809069

• gavroyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
If you can get JIS tools, then definitely go that way over Philips. JIS is designed not to cam-out at a specific torque, meaning you can get a lot more force on them before they jump and start stripping the fastener head. And they're also more correct for originality.

Personally I went with Socket-head Cap screws, because I find I can much more safely torque those to the correct values without stripping out the fastener. But either way is fine.
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

Engine Sidecover Screw Set 12 Aug 2019 12:08 #809073

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member

Rick H. wrote: Well following the advice of some I checked the prices on Partzilla for a total of 43 screws that are needed. I am sure there are a few more that I missed in the parts break down. The Partzilla price is over $50.00. The Z1E price for their screw package including some bolts is round $15.00. Think I will try the Z1E package first and see how they are. Thanks to all...

As a side note to this, I was unaware of the JIS screw situation until I started thinking about getting an old Z1 or KZ-1000 and did some reading. All I ever used on these bikes before was a standard Phillips head screw driver. Ironically, when I bought my '77 KZ-1000 the previous owner told me the engine had NEVER been apart, yet every screw on the engine was buggered up from a standard Phillips head screw driver being used on them. A fin was broken off the cylinder block from being pried on I am sure and a distinct gouge mark from a straight bladed screw driver is present right under the 1015CC block casting. So much for truth and honesty when dealing with someone 2000 miles away.

Rick H.

I'm sure Z1E screws will be fine. I think they are JIS. And now you can get the screws AND the JIS screwdrivers for less than the OEM price!
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw, Rick H.

• Page: