Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 650 / Oil Cooler - Oil Temp - Condensation 13 Jul 2019 12:24 #807480

• Uncle Freddy
  • Uncle Freddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
OK, hoping for some good insight / advice here .....I bought this 650 new in '83, in '85 I did my first round of mods: Supertrapp pipe, top end enhanced (APE valve guides & springs, GPz 750 cams, once over pistons & rings), Barnett extra plate clutch, Earls competition oil cooler, CR smoothbores, Dyna coils, steering damper, ATK fork brace, Marzocchi rears, etc) .....this 650 has been with me all over the globe: California, Hawaii, Maryland and now, permanently, in the Pacific NW .....I am about 3/4s done with a full restore, see pic .....on my oil cooler: removed, ultrasound dunk tank, blown out, brand new stainless lines & Earls AN fittings, all reinstalled now ......so, I got to thinking about this cooler, as it is a biggie, 13 row, and when I put it on the bike in CA back in the 80s, I did a ton of long distance riding and a lot of it in high temps .....same for Hawaii, same for Maryland .....my current plan is to commute on the bike from Whidbey Island over to Boeing across the water during the Spring & Summer months, and a handful of road trips & weekend adventures in the Spring & Summer months to boot .....my concern: condensation IN the engine, as my run down to the ferry from our garage at home is only 3 minutes .....and my run to Boeing once off the ferry is only 5 minutes .....all of this hardly enough to get the 650 to hot operating temp .....my question: if I do begin this type of Spring & Summer work commuting on my bike as planned, once I ride off the ferry coming back home to the island, instead of right back to the house, take the bike on a nice 1/2 hour or so hard, high rev ride on the open 525 Hwy and then come on home, would this plan, in your opinions, be enough to burn off whatever condensation may be in the engine from my very short rides on the front end of my work commute ? .....to note: I have never ever had a condensation issue with my beloved 650, and per my oil sight glass and underside of oil cap, never a sign of condensation regardless of how I rode the bike, or how long rides were .....lastly, I am running Castrol GTX 20/50, which will definitely take longer to heat up .....based on how I want to utilize the bike for my work commute, should I be running a lower viscosity oil now ? ......THANK YOU in advance to any / all replies (PS: I am sure some will suggest a thermostat control, to only utilize the TO & FROM on the cooler once oil hits a certain temp, but I'm trying to avoid that as I'd have to tear everything apart, order new parts, conduct the mod, fab new lines, leak check everything, etc)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Uncle Freddy. Reason: adding pic; added Supertrapp

1983 650 / Oil Cooler - Oil Temp - Condensation 13 Jul 2019 14:45 #807483

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
First, you might want to consider 10W-40 oil since 20W-50 is better suited for high heat riding. Regarding the cooler, a GPz/L model cooler and oil pan make a nice clean mod. Check photos in my restore thread for more info if interested. Failing that, Earl's makes all kinds of coolers, many smaller than the one you have. You can also make a cover for the cooler to keep wind off it for your commuter rides. Lots of options.

1983 650 / Oil Cooler - Oil Temp - Condensation 13 Jul 2019 15:47 #807487

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Very clean bike lots of tasty mods. Cover the front of the cooler with a thin plasric sheet. I made one for mine by cutting to fit the cooler drilled a small hole at each corner then installed on front of the cooler with zip ties. Ran mine like that every winter for 10 years as it was my sole means of transport.

Last edit: by baldy110.
  • Page: