No gas in carbs

More
06 Jul 2019 18:23 #807093 by Bzboardco
No gas in carbs was created by Bzboardco
Hey all just bought an 82 KZ550 LTD. Bike hasnt been started in over a year. I drained all the old gas out carbs and tank. Added fresh non ethanol gas. Bike will start with starting fluid, but on its own. Ive never messed with a bike with a vacuum petcock. I opened the bowl screws and no fuel is coming out. So im assuming carbs are not getting fuel. Could something be wrong with the vacuum diaphragm? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Bike only has 6,000 miles on it and in nearly perfect condition. Im pretty excited to get it started.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Jul 2019 18:39 #807094 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic No gas in carbs
Turn it on PRI (prime) and see if fuel comes out the drain screws.
Steve

More
06 Jul 2019 19:31 #807096 by Bzboardco
Replied by Bzboardco on topic No gas in carbs
Ive tried all positions and still haven't gotten fuel to carbs. Replaced fuel line. If i disconnect fuel line. Gas comes out petcock.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Jul 2019 19:39 #807097 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic No gas in carbs
Pull the fuel line off the carbs and see if you can get fuel to flow when the petcock is on prime. If you get fuel to flow then the problem is in the carbs.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bzboardco

More
07 Jul 2019 11:04 #807123 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic No gas in carbs
The carbs need to come off and cleaned. The float s are stuck closed which means the jets and pilot circuits are also clogged up. That is caused by leaving gas in the carbs while it sat for a ling time.

More
07 Jul 2019 11:35 #807124 by Bzboardco
Replied by Bzboardco on topic No gas in carbs
Can you just clean them without rebuilding. Or should i just wait and order a rebuild kit?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
07 Jul 2019 12:17 - 07 Jul 2019 12:18 #807127 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic No gas in carbs
In most cases, all that is needed are new orings and gaskets. The jets, float valves and other metal parts almost always clean up nicely. Also, kits frequently are filled with aftermarket parts of uncertain quality.
Under the Articles tab on this site, there are a couple of carb cleaning tutorials. The factory service manual will also be of great help. Search for posts by user Loudvhx. In his signature area are links to a great deal of important information about the 550s.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 07 Jul 2019 12:18 by TexasKZ.