1980 KZ650 Clutch and Engine Start Problem

More
26 Jun 2019 13:39 #806513 by salmeida
I have a 1980 KZ650 E Ltd, and I have two problems with my bike that are restraining me from riding it.

The first is that the bike only starts with starter fluid, if I spray a little in the air intake and kick it once or twice it roars right up. If I try to do it with no starter fluid it won't even let out a noise.

The second problem is when I do get it running and try to shift into first gear, as soon as I release the clutch the engine dies. I have read that this can be from a kickstand kill switch being stuck, but I am looking all over the bike and wiring diagram and can not seem to find it. So does this bike even have a kickstand kill switch?

Thank you for any help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2019 11:51 #806715 by jlaudiofan
Replied by jlaudiofan on topic 1980 KZ650 Clutch and Engine Start Problem
I don't see anything on my '80 KZ650 that indicates it has a kickstand switch, but it's a KZ650F not an E....

Not sure about the 1st gear clutch issue. Does it die as soon as you start letting pressure off the clutch? Halfway? All the way?

1980 KZ650F

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
30 Jun 2019 12:57 #806717 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 1980 KZ650 Clutch and Engine Start Problem
Is some kind of switch attached to clutch leveler?

More
30 Jun 2019 14:40 #806721 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 1980 KZ650 Clutch and Engine Start Problem
Check your compression low compression will not start normally but will with start fluid. When were the valves last checked.? Does it die when you pull the clutch in or when you put it in gear?

More
01 Jul 2019 14:19 #806788 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 1980 KZ650 Clutch and Engine Start Problem
To start my 650, I first put the fuel valve/petcock to the Prime position for a few minutes.
You can leave it on Prime while you attempt to start her, or just turn it to ON or Reserve after a few minutes or so.
Next, pull the choke lever all the way up.
Put the transmission in Neutral.
Set the Kill switch to Run, and turn the key ON.
Pull in the clutch, and hit the start button.
Do Not give any throttle, let the choke do it's work.
Hold the starter button for 5 seconds or so.
If she doesn't start, try the starter button again.

If she does start, lower the choke lever once the engine rpms climb too much, say 4000 rpms or more.
As you lower the choke lever, the rpms will climb, then the more you lower the choke lever the rpms will drop.
After 5 to 10 minutes, you should be able to lower the choke lever all the way down.

If your bike will not start like this, your carbs may need a cleaning.

Is your 650 stock? with air box etc?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
05 Jul 2019 09:58 #807007 by salmeida
Replied by salmeida on topic 1980 KZ650 Clutch and Engine Start Problem
I just took off the clutch cable put it back on and not it works perfectly. But I just got my tachometer cable in and installed it and the bike only barely stays alive at 2000 rpm. My box is stock and has air intake. The carbs were just cleaned and redone. My electric start does not work so the kick is the only way to start it. Also when I checked the valves leaving a fluid in them over night for leak, only a couple of cylinders had minor leaks, so it held a majority of the fluid overnight. All of the valves were lapped anyways and put back in.