Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 11:47 #802351

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
If the chain is on the crankshaft sprocket and you install the exhaust cam without any slack on the front, and then install the intake cam without any slack on the back....all of the slack should be between the two cams on top. At this point your timing is correct. If your cams move as you install the bearing caps the cam chain should also rotate, because the chain is on all three sprockets.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 18:12 #802376

• edouardpierre
  • edouardpierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks again guys.

I'm about to try to it now and will follow up. My only question at this point is my procedure.

I have tensioner off, idle sprocket off, cams out. I set engine to TDC 1-4. I pull slack on cam chain and insert exhaust cam while keeping taught. I set the cam at EX mark parrel to engine head. Then I keep chain taught and check TDC...and install intake cam to EX mark as well while holding chain taught. At this point engine is at TDC 1-4, 36 links on chain are counted and both cams are sitting with EX Mark's parallel to engine head. I install cam bolts following tightening procedure. I then torque them. I install tensioner (original one now instead of APE manual for now). Then I rotate engine (this is where the chain has slipped or is not rotating freely) and check my timing. If this all goes well I then install idle sprocket. Install valve cover. Ready for lift off!

Please let me know if I'm missing or messing up some some steps. THANK YOU!

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 18:25 #802378

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

edouardpierre wrote: ............................ If this all goes well I then install idle sprocket...................

What????? Why would you not put humpty dumpty completely back together before rotating the engine? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 18:44 #802379

• edouardpierre
  • User
@650Ed section 6-51 in my manual says to rotate engine to recheck time to make sure. I'm in the process now and will update once I put it all back together.

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 19:01 #802381

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
That sounds correct. When you rotate the engine, do it slowly and carefully. If it stops rotating you likely have a valve striking a piston. Don't force it. The problem is incorrect setting of the cams or incorrect setting of the ignition. Take photos and put them up.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 19:13 #802383

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

edouardpierre wrote: @650Ed section 6-51 in my manual says to rotate engine to recheck time to make sure. I'm in the process now and will update once I put it all back together.

I have no idea which manual you are using - BUT if you rotate the engine with the upper chain guide sprocket (I believe this is what you refer to as the "idle sprocket") not in place the slack between the two cams will present a problem. What manual said the engine should be rotated with the upper chain guide sprocket removed? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 18 Apr 2019 19:29 #802386

• edouardpierre
  • User
So I put everything back together making sure engine didn't turn as I bolted down the cams. Put the upper chain guide sprocket back on and still can't rotate this thing more than a quarter turn. Walking away from it this evening as I've been bathing this for the past week. Fyi, I am cleaning off the old gasket bits ;).

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 19 Apr 2019 00:35 #802393

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Looks like your cams are 90 degree off the TDC Position.
Do you mixed the cam sprockets like ex sprocket on the intake cam and vice versa???

Last edit: by Scirocco.

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 19 Apr 2019 06:00 #802401

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Those photos show the cams way out of position.

Again, set 1-4 T to the indicator on the crank

Remove the cam chain tensioner along with the roller between the cams so there is slack in the chain.

Pull up on the cam chain in front and install the exhaust cam. The 1-- mark must be pointed slightly down relative to the gasket surface for the valve cover. When you tighten up the cam cap screws (don't do it now) the cam will drop into the head and rotate CCW and the 1-- mark will then be level with the gasket surface or ever so slightly above. Never below.

Count the link pins and position the intake cam as described in the manual and lay it in place.

Tighten up the cam cap screws on the exhaust cam first and verify the 1-- mark is as detailed above and that the 1-4 T mark is still aligned on the crank. Then tighten up the intake cam cap screws.

Install roller between cams, then the tensioner. The tensioner should be pushed back and released once it's bolted to the cylinder.

Always follow the advise in the factory Kawasaki manual. Clymers or similar should only be used as a supplement. Get manual download here if you don't already have one...www.zedrider.co.uk/service--owners-manuals.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 19 Apr 2019 19:29 #802447

• edouardpierre
  • User
@nessism first off thank you for your detailed response and instructions.

I followed them step by step along with factory manual and I'm still having the same issue. About 90 degree turn on crank and hit a road block. I have attached photos for you and others.
Attachments:

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 19 Apr 2019 20:26 #802449

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Those cams look to be positioned correctly. Notice how the notches on the end are horizontal and pointed at each other. The only question is whether the crank is at 1-4 TDC. Take a look down the spark plug hole to make sure the piston is at the top. Is the cam chain tensioner installed? If not, it needs to be, and the extra chain tensioner taken up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

Last edit: by Nessism.

'78 KZ650 Valve Adjustment Gone Wrong! 20 Apr 2019 11:30 #802476

• edouardpierre
  • User
Piston is at the top and chain tensioner is installed. Just got official manual in the mail.