Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 07 Apr 2019 12:40 #801714

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
A used engine is always the cheapest option, but there is the possibility of it needing work as well. I would think that your head is fully repairable by a good shop like APE. I personally would do a complete tear down and replace the cam chain as well. It seems like you may have slipped a tooth while running and that caused your orginal problem. Plus you’re going to want to inspect your rods/crank after damage like that
The following user(s) said Thank You: BretY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 07 Apr 2019 13:22 #801719

• BretY
  • BretY's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, I will look into seeing if the head could be repaired- it sounds like a kz head might be possible too? I know APE is out in California. Anyone know of a shop in the Northeast that can do similar work?
Either way I will be taking the the rest apart. I lost one of those rubber rectangular wedges that go on each side of the front timing chain guide pin - that holds it in place- while pulling the cylinder off. I had it then slipped out of my fingers.... It took a dive into the crankcase and I can't find it; and don't need it bouncing around in there... I'm taking that as a sign that I have to tear it all down...
At least mine doesn't look as bad as that Yamaha there.
Thanks for all the advice!

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 07 Apr 2019 14:18 #801727

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1905
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI would buy a complete used engine, who knows anything else can be damaged as you knowing yet.

Engine plus the carbs for 199 Euro

Attachments:

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 07 Apr 2019 16:18 #801735

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973
Unless this is the last head on earth that will fit your bike , I would replace it with another head.
Getting it fixed is one thing , but at what cost. Doesnt make financial sense to me .
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 07 Apr 2019 19:02 #801747

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Unless this is the last head on earth that will fit your bike , I would replace it with another head.
Getting it fixed is one thing , but at what cost. Doesnt make financial sense to me .
Dave

My thinking exactly.

From the looks of the valve seat, which is black, it looks like the valves weren't adjusted regularly and that valve was hanging open and burned and cracked in half. I could be wrong of course but clearly that seat is burned to crap and half the valve head is gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, BretY

Last edit: by Nessism.

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 08 Apr 2019 15:20 #801814

• BretY
  • BretY's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree the head looks too chewed up. I will try to find a good engine if it makes financial sense - that one listed looks like it could be a great deal but in Germany ... I do wish I had checked the valve clearances. I checked everything else. I almost did but the guy who had it swore they were recently measured/ adjusted, etc. I rode the bike for 2 months then that was it. Lesson learned.... Thanks for all the replies!

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 08 Apr 2019 21:24 #801841

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
my vote is for a new engine. the broken off pin in the crank is another sign of bad things going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, BretY

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

pistons not at TDC as marked at crankshaft? 09 Apr 2019 07:06 #801863

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

DoctoRot wrote: my vote is for a new engine. the broken off pin in the crank is another sign of bad things going on.

Yes, I agree. Since it wasn't in an accident, I can only imagine the crankshaft stopped so suddenly that the inertia of the ignition rotor sheared the pin. That kind of crank-stopping force certainly will poop in your Fruit Loops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BretY

• Page: