Kawasaki LTD400 1982 / kz400 Timing Adjustment Issues

More
02 Apr 2019 14:37 - 02 Apr 2019 14:38 #801414 by goatfarming
Hello.

So i have a kawasaki LTD 400 - which as far as i know is the same engine and bike as the kz400.

So after i changed my head gasket, i had to take out the camshaft etc. and i just cant for the life of me get it right, i have followed the manual to the letter, but i cant get the arrows to lign up, i managed to get it right one time, but when i put it back together i only ran on one sylinder, so i think i might have just missed a step and kind of made the Sprocket arrows lign up even though they didnt. I have made a video where im trying to show the problem, and any inputs on how to do this or what im doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

So just to summarize, i align the timing unit to the t-mark by rotating it counter clock wise, when its dead center, i rotate it 1-4 counter clockwise turn, and then i take the sprocket adjust the arrow to pointing forward level with the top of the engine block, adjust the cam shaft with the marker in the right end pointing upwards, then i take the chain onto the sprocket, fit the sprocket back on the shaft and rotate it again the timing unit forwards while holding the shaft in place so its pointing upwards, while waiting for the 2 screw holes for the sprocket to align to enter the 2 x bolts that hold it onto the camshaft, but then again when i check the timing, the arrow is allways off, what am i not getting here ?

The frustration level is high, so any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Last edit: 02 Apr 2019 14:38 by goatfarming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2019 18:24 #801422 by Nebr_Rex
Step 1] reassemble the cam chain tensioner but do not install it yet.
Step 2] reinstall camshaft sprocket, it goes on only one way.
Step 3] rotate crank to line up with the 'T' timing mark.
Step 4] With the cam chain tensioner removed from the engine. The cam can be rotated
because there it enough slack for the chain to slip over allowing the cam to rotate. Rotate
the cam till the arrow is pointing to the front.
Step 5] Install chain on the cam sprocket. Make sure the chain has also engaged the crank
sprocket also. The chain has to be tight on the rear of the engine and loose on the front.
Step 6] With the crank timing marks lined up and the cam sprocket arrow pointing forward just
with the chain tight install the cam chain tensioner.
rotate engine two revolutions and line up the crank 'T' mark and the cam sprocket mark should
be pointing straight to the front of the engine.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
03 Apr 2019 08:33 #801440 by goatfarming
first, thank you for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

Second if i do exactly what you said, i get everything to line up, when i follow the manual it says that after you have ligned up the crank to the T mark, to rotate the crank anticlockwise 1/4 turn 90degrees. this is what has given me problems, but i also see that the engine is not exactly the same in the manual, for a slightly older model(s) i think, so when i just didnt do that but followed your instructions everything works out.

So i guess i basically just wanted to check in again before i put it back together.

Just to summarize what i did:

1: Turn the Crankshaft forwards (clockwise) until the T mark on the timing unit aligned with the timing line.

2: loosen camshaft chain tension

3: Loosen Cam chain sprocket, took it off

4: position sprocket with arrow facing forward, refit the chain, paying attention to the back end chain going to the crank sprocket being tight.

5: Cam shaft notch in right end side of camshaft pointing directly up. Then turn the crankshaft forwards while holding the camshaft steady in place until the sprocket holes align, put the 2 screws in the sprocket, 14nm torque, locking fluid etc.

6: Then put the chain tension back on, and rotate the enige twice until the T mark again in the crankshaft timing housing , and the Arrow on the sprocket is now facing level with the sylinder pointing forwards

Sounds about right ?

More
03 Apr 2019 17:26 #801466 by Nebr_Rex
Follow my instructions and ignore the notch on the cam.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
04 Apr 2019 03:37 #801488 by goatfarming
once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

But if you dont pay attention to the notch in the cam or the timing mark, then the whole process is sort of useless ? as Top dead center , timing mark is supposed to sync up with the actual cam shaft top center mark as well for it to be of any use ? I put it together like this and it seems to turn over just fine , i havent tried starting it yet just mounted the top back on and rotated the crank, have i messed it up since i paid attention to the notch in the cam shaft as well? The timing and sprocket arrow etc all lined up like it was suppoed to after

More
04 Apr 2019 04:08 #801489 by goatfarming
Ok so i think i might have messed up, if your method is right.

im probably testing your patience at this point and if your going Whiskey Tango Foxthroat by now im sorry, i just want to understand all of this and make sense of it all.

Firstly my engine is a KZ 400 H1 LTD, so i see that these are slightly different then the kz400 if that matters, as i have a manual that is clearly for those because they look a little different but annyways back to it.

So i put the crank to Top Dead Center T mark. Cam Shaft notch pointing upwards, then sprocket timing arrows pointing forward. I refitted the chain back end down to crank tight on the sprocket, then refitted the sprocket on the flange. Then i rotated the crank forwards until the mounting holes for the sprocket lined up, camshaft notch still pointing directly up. bolted the sprocket on, cam chain tensioner back on, and everything lined up after when roating the engine to TDC again, sprocket arrow lined up.

Now the paying attention to the cam notch pointing upwards while rotating the crank . did i get this part wrong ? should i instead have rotated the crank shaft while holding the sprocket in place until the bolt holes for the sprocket lined up? or is there a chance that i achieved the same thing only whent about if differently?

I appreciate your continued patience with me :D