Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re-sleeving a Z1 cylinder - R&R w/good used sleeve or new? 11 Mar 2019 09:17 #800168

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • slmjim+Z1BEBE's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
One of the cylinders on The Wounded Z (late '73 mfgr. date Z1) was too badly damaged by water to be recovered by honing alone. The other three cylinders are fine.

We want to re-use this block, as the casting is correct for the very early blocks after Kawasaki changed to 2-piece head gaskets. Later 903cc blocks had various changes made to the fins, fin reinforcements and a few other things.

We have a variety of later, much more common 903cc cylinder blocks that have good, low-mile sleeves in them that we can cannibalize for one sleeve.

We will be using new rings and good used pistons that mic well inside the service limits.

We're asking for advice from any members who have experience with swapping sleeves from one cylinder block into another. Pros, cons, pitfalls etc.

The alternative would be to re-sleeve with new, 66mm stock-bore sleeves. LA Sleeve is one obvious possibility, but we're sure there are others.

If re-sleeving from another cylinder block is found to be too problematic, does anyone have experience with service providers other than LA Sleeve?

Thanks all.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-sleeving a Z1 cylinder - R&R w/good used sleeve or new? 11 Mar 2019 09:51 #800171

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
It would be an cheaper option to bore and hone with stock KZ1000 Piston, (70 mm 1015 ccm)

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Re-sleeving a Z1 cylinder - R&R w/good used sleeve or new? 11 Mar 2019 10:01 #800173

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I don't have any specific KZ knowledge but I do know that with Suzuki GS bikes the cylinder's and sleeves are color code graded to assure the proper amount of interference fit between the parts. It's a light press fit and when hot the liner almost floats in the block; putting the block in the oven at 300F or so and the liner will fall free. If a liner that's larger than the one removed is installed the press fit will be tighter and that will distort the bore sizing. If you do go with a used liner be sure to use a bore gauge and check out of round and taper after install. As long as you are under .0010" on both you should be okay.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Re-sleeving a Z1 cylinder - R&R w/good used sleeve or new? 11 Mar 2019 10:55 #800177

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
I've swapped and fitted new sleeves in tons of zed blocks.
They are cold pressed in at the factory but you must warm the block to remove and replace otherwise you will loosen the fit.
It doesn't take much heat to move them and I usually just warm them in the oven or under the grill until the block slides down the liners then quickly remove the old and drop in the replacements then chock up the block with the liners hanging until it cools.
I also place weights on top of the liners to make sure they stay fully seated while cooling.
I have also used an hot air gun/stripper to heat the block locally to loosen just one liner.
You will also probably have to deck the block slightly for the head gasket as the replacement liner probably won't sit at the same height as the others.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.
  • Page: