• Page:

TOPIC:

Valve adjustment gap 10 Mar 2019 22:23 #800132

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
My Kz 1400 has a set up of web cams and shims under bucket. I did check the gap in the valves and cylinder 1 has 20 and 25 the rest of the cylinders have 10 and 15 gap.
I have never adjusted this kind of valve shims before my other bikes I have plenty of shims and shim tool so It easier as easy I can try different ones to get the right gap.
but this set up I guess I have to open the cover measure the gap accurately and write them down then remove cams and measure the installed shims and calculate the right replacement size then order them and fit them and put everything back again.
I have been doing research for the shims to maybe order a kit with different sizes but seems to be that are different sizes of retainers and that determines the shim diameterssize If I am right.
I have been told that they put shims under bucket as the cams must be over 450 lift to avoid the shims to slip out the bucket, but I don know much about lift and duration, I know how to put the engine back and set up the timing back.
Please correct me if I am wrong in anything and please if you can suggest anything will be more than welcome.
questions
1) what clearance should I aim?
2) its there a different clearance for intake and exhaust valves?
what is the best approach to perform this job? I am also fitting a manual tensioner and a set of Mikunis RS 40.
and where should I look to get the under bucket shims?
Thanks in advance you have helped me to keep this bike on running
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve adjustment gap 11 Mar 2019 05:36 #800146

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
If that is a KZ1000 engine the correct gap for a stock engine with stock cams is 0.10 to 0.15 mm. It is the same on intake and exhaust. If the engine or cams are modified you may need a different gap. I can't help with that.

You should measure all the gaps and calculate your shim needs. When the new shims arrive you will have to remove the cams and tappets to change the shims. If you don't know the diameter of your shims you will have to pull the cams and check one of your shims. Under bucket shims are sold by many suppliers. Try Z1 Enterprises of Z Power.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Valve adjustment gap 11 Mar 2019 06:30 #800150

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
You want as close to 0.15mm with stock cams or 0.20mm with the high lift Web's.
You need to measure the gap, measure the shims and calculate the difference to achieve the desired clearance.
If your calcs fall between shims sizes go for the thinner shim as the gaps will always close up , not widen.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Valve adjustment gap 11 Mar 2019 07:00 #800157

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Thanks
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Valve adjustment gap 11 Mar 2019 20:04 #800208

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Hello, You refer to stock cams to 0.15 mm in stock cam but I remember the service manual saying between 0.05mm - 0.15mm so you referring to the wider gap suggested by the manufacturer?
with the high lift cams when you refer to 0.20 mm are you referring as well to the wider gap it should have? I spoke to APE today and they said that most web cams are 0.06 inches 0.15mm what do you think it should be the best ?
lucky the measures on the gaps fall all in 0.10, 0.15,0.20,0.25 so it should not be a problem to get it to the right side since it is divisible exact by 0.05.
I just want to make sure I get this right.
I don't like the idea of opening and closing the cams and all of that more than ones its always a chance of meeting up a tread or a screw breaking, happened to me in the past
Thanks

Valve adjustment gap 12 Mar 2019 01:00 #800214

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
The Web cams are 0.15mm Minimum and the stock are 0.10mm Minimum so you need to be above that to allow for settlement and wear.
Kawasaki used to quote 0.05mm to 0.10mm in the early bikes but engines set at the lower figure of 0.05 saw bikes going into the shop with burnt valves after a short while so they changed it to 0.10 to 0.15 which solved the problem of bikes leaving a fresh service with marginal valve clearance.
No official factory manual will quote 0.05mm as the lower figure on these engines now.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Valve adjustment gap 13 Mar 2019 05:47 #800259

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Ok thats very interesting.so I will aim to 0.15 thank you very much.

• Page: