Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cutting out in the rain 10 Mar 2019 09:01 #800070

• Pipes66
  • Pipes66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Any particular reason why my bike has started cutting out when it rains?
I think I know why,I've just fitted new coils and the ht leads are a slightly smaller diameter than the old ones so I reckon water is getting in the insulation boot making the connection wet/damp where the lead screws into the cap.
Am I right?
1983 kz750 F1 Ltd Shaft US model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cutting out in the rain 10 Mar 2019 09:14 #800073

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
Pods?
Steve

Cutting out in the rain 10 Mar 2019 09:42 #800075

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
A common problem in wet climates.
you can spray the ignition wires, leads,coils etc with WD40 to disperse the water. You can also buy an aerosol spray ignition protector at an auto parts/accessory store which will put a clear waterproof coating on the wires leads and coils. Neither WD40 or ignition protector is a permanent fix but should last for a few months. Adding a bit more insulation at the connector might be a more permanent solution. Liquid electrical tape might also work

Wet pods (if you have them) are a bugger in the rain
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Cutting out in the rain 10 Mar 2019 18:12 #800124

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Pipes66 wrote: Any particular reason why my bike has started cutting out when it rains?
I think I know why,I've just fitted new coils and the ht leads are a slightly smaller diameter than the old ones so I reckon water is getting in the insulation boot making the connection wet/damp where the lead screws into the cap.
Am I right?

If not already done, would fit new plug wires.

Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-ignition-wire...pper-core-black.html

And would also assure that screw heads at the primary coil terminals are not too close to metal coil spacers so as to ground when a film of water gets between the screw head and a ground. A zip tie wrapped around the spacer makes a good insulator between the screw head and spacer.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Cutting out in the rain 11 Mar 2019 00:11 #800135

• Pipes66
  • Pipes66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Running standard airbox.
New coils came with leads already attached but slightly smaller diameter.
Plenty of room between connection and earth.
Runs fine,won't rev past 5k when it is raining before eventually cutting out,restarts no problem when rain stops. I've only changed the coils,valve lash,filters and plugs and oil.
Hotter plugs look amazing and she's starting sooo much better.
It's got to be the plug caps boots,I'll report back soon.
1983 kz750 F1 Ltd Shaft US model

Cutting out in the rain 11 Mar 2019 02:13 #800138

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Take the plug caps off, slide a inch or two of heat shrink sleeve up the HT wire, replace the plug caps, slide the heat shrink sleeve back down and over the cap so that it covers the joint area off the cap and HT lead then get a heat gun on to shrink and seal the joint.

There should be a rubber piece on the plug cap that does this job maybe they are missing?

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Cutting out in the rain 11 Mar 2019 05:49 #800148

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Pipes66 wrote: . . . New coils came with leads already attached but slightly smaller diameter.
Plenty of room between connection and earth.
Runs fine,won't rev past 5k when it is raining before eventually cutting out,restarts no problem when rain stops. I've only changed the coils,valve lash,filters and plugs and oil.
Hotter plugs look amazing and she's starting sooo much better.
It's got to be the plug caps boots,I'll report back soon.

The Dyna spark plug wires have the boot/cap already built in as an integral part of the plug wire (at the plug end) so there is no water intrusion between the wire and boot/cap.

The coil end of the Dyna plug wire has a boot that slides down over the area where the wire fits into the coil , and is a snug fit around the wire and around the coil input, which connection is supposedly waterproof. I apply some dialectric grease under the cap to help prevent water intrusion where the plug wire attaches to the coil.

With the plug wires at hand (presumably 7mm) being permanently affixed to the coils as an integral part of the coils, and the wire being "too small" for the plug boot/cap at hand, perhaps new properly sized plug caps/boots should be considered. Absent new tighter plug boot/caps, either the shrink tube already mentioned or some other means may be employed to water-proof the plug wire connection with the boots/caps.

What kind of boot/cap is being used that's too large for the new plug wires?

Were the old plug wires the slighter fatter 8mm version with matching boots/caps?

Were old fatter plug wires "shaved down" at the coil end in order to fit inside the old coils?

Are 8mm plug boots/caps being used with the new 7mm plug wires?

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.
  • Page: