Stator wire grommet

More
09 Mar 2019 16:58 #800025 by ZeffRides
Stator wire grommet was created by ZeffRides
Is there a source for the stator wire grommets for the KZ750 twins? (1976)

1976 KZ750B1
1978 CB750K
2002 BMW 530i 5-speed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2019 19:25 - 09 Mar 2019 19:26 #800034 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stator wire grommet
The parts diagram appears to show two grommets as integral pieces of the stator wires, not listed as separately available. My wild guess is that the design doesn't contemplate replacement of just the grommets themselves.

If leaking oil is the issue, the following described type of procedure might help stop the leaking.

Kidkawie wrote: It's pretty common for it to leak there. I believe the cloth on the wires wicks the oil out or there isn't a good bond with the grommet and wires. I sealed mine 5-6 years ago and hasn't leaked yet. I removed the cover and cleaned the snot out of the wires/grommet area using brake clean. I'd let it completely dry, then clean again. I did this about 6 times until there was no traces of oil on the wiring or grommet area. I used liquid gasket and let it seep into the cloth of the wires and pool on top of the grommet. Also filled in the cavity just below the grommet with silicone and sealed the grommet to the aluminum. Let it dry in the bench for a coupla days before reinstalling.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Mar 2019 19:26 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.