Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carbs size 17 Feb 2019 09:50 #798811

• marcumc
  • marcumc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently bought a motor from a gentleman for my 1976 KZ 900 He tells me that this motor has a 1260 kit installed. My question is can I get by with jetting a set of 28mm carbs with this motor set up. I don't intend on racing the bike. Thought or comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carbs size 17 Feb 2019 10:49 #798812

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Should be fine. Maybe a little restricted but that depends on the head flow and cams, not only the displacement. Going small on the carbs is almost always better than too big unless top end power is the desired goal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

carbs size 17 Feb 2019 10:51 #798813

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
My answer would be "it depends". If the motor was done up with big valves, big cams, and big ports then the 28mm carbs will be a bit too small. By the time the motor reaches the RPM's where it wants to start working, it would be running out of breath due to the restrictive carbs. On the other hand, if it's a very mild motor, then you might get by with a rack of 28's and it might prove to be a very streetable combination.

Just wondering, too, if your motor is, indeed, a 1260. Does it still have a factory cylinder block? The rule of thumb used to be: stock KZ cylinder block and liners were good for 1100cc, stock cyl block w/aftermarket liners good for 1200cc, and anything larger required an aftermarket big block.

I'm sure that other forum members will be by to offer more advice. Good luck with your project.

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, gordone

carbs size 17 Feb 2019 11:17 #798815

• marcumc
  • User
Thanks Ed I had some else tell me that it might tame down that motor a little bit.

carbs size 17 Feb 2019 11:21 #798816

• marcumc
  • User
Thanks Mike.

carbs size 17 Feb 2019 12:19 #798818

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Dragbike_Mike wrote:
Just wondering, too, if your motor is, indeed, a 1260. Does it still have a factory cylinder block? The rule of thumb used to be: stock KZ cylinder block and liners were good for 1100cc, stock cyl block w/aftermarket liners good for 1200cc, and anything larger required an aftermarket big block.

Mike

Have to correct myself here - you can go to 1260cc using the factory cylinder block and aftermarket sleeves. My bad...

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

• Page: