Are my cams in the right spot? 2nd opinions wanted.

More
10 Jan 2019 03:25 - 10 Jan 2019 06:17 #796471 by MrFathead
Hey guys I am just assembling my engine, I bought it as parts in a crate so I have never seen it together before. I have put the head and cams on and I was wondering if anyone could have a look at my photos and tell me if it is done right? I am pretty confident but I figure I wouldn't torque it down until I get a second opinion. Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I put it to have pistons 1 + 4 at top dead center. Then I got the exhaust cam to have the mark lined up with the head, then I counted 28 links and put the intake cam on the 28 marker. It's marker seems to be lined up with the head as well.

Here is some photos forgive me if they don't work correctly I haven't put photos on this site before.

imgur.com/KU6Q16Y
imgur.com/PsXyZbg
imgur.com/ob4HrU8
imgur.com/0qgZQUH
imgur.com/VG3J6Tm
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 06:17 by MrFathead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 03:55 #796472 by zed1015
Hi. Your photos are not showing but if you line the exhaust mark up with the head and count 28 pins from the NEXT pin back you should be fine ( do not count the one lined up with the exhaust mark )
Don't know why Kawasaki didn't just say count 29 pins back including the one lined up to the head as it works out the same and would have saved a lot of confusion for some people.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFathead

More
10 Jan 2019 04:43 - 10 Jan 2019 04:45 #796473 by MrFathead
Do these work now?
imgur.com/KU6Q16Y
imgur.com/PsXyZbg
imgur.com/ob4HrU8
imgur.com/0qgZQUH
imgur.com/VG3J6Tm

I am not sure why I couldn't do it through the forum it says I don't have permission.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 04:45 by MrFathead.

• Scirocco
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
10 Jan 2019 05:06 - 10 Jan 2019 05:11 #796474 by Scirocco
Pics upload is limited to max. 2mb/Image, (jpg, gif, png, etc...).
You have to resized/covert to less than 2 mb.
Video/ZIP/RAR/PDF/etc... is limited to max. 10 mb/file.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 05:11 by Scirocco.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Jan 2019 05:42 - 10 Jan 2019 05:46 #796475 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Are my cams in the right spot? 2nd opinions wanted.
Yes, it looks correct. You want the cam lobes on #4 cylinder to be pointing towards each other. When you turn your engine over be very careful. Best to do it with plugs out to reduce back pressure. I normally use the kick start to rotate as it's easy to break off the timing pin on the crank, although when you check valve clearance you will have to rotate backwards with the timing bolt.

Is that a 900 or a 1015?

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 05:46 by hardrockminer.

More
10 Jan 2019 06:16 - 10 Jan 2019 06:19 #796477 by MrFathead
This engine was built from a whole bunch of parts, it is z1b crank cases, 900a4 crank+cylinder+maybe the head. The cylinder is bored out to 1015. The head might be kz1000 but I am not 100% sure.

I already snapped the bolt off in the generator on the other side of the crank haha, that was a nightmare to fix.
I will try to use kickstart when I can, but I was finding it hard to do it gently enough. Its like I press gently and then all of a sudden it just like turns over a full revolution.

I will hopefully finish assembling the head this weekend and I will post some pictures and probably get advice on the shims. I need to tap a new thread into my cam chain tensioner, it is stripped. I also need to get a smaller gear shift return spring, I have a gearbox from a 900a4 and it seems the gear shift return spring is a coil thicker in that model. Plus I don't even own an exhaust pipe. So it might be a little while before I can get it running.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 06:19 by MrFathead.

More
10 Jan 2019 07:18 #796481 by zed1015
Looking at the photo's the cam timing and pin count is correct .
Just don't turn the engine without the top idler and tensioner installed but I presume you already know that.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-