• Page:

TOPIC:

Help with Aftermarket Piston Rings KZ550H 28 Dec 2018 02:30 #795817

• Wyrda
  • Wyrda's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationGood evening all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience installing piston rings on an '83 GPZ550 H2? After having one of my pistons acquire a hole, I went out an bought a new piston and a new set of piston rings from Cruzin' Images:

However we (me an my uncle, who is doing the repairs on the bike, since I'm not much of a mechanic) aren't sure how to install the compression rings. I.E, we're not sure which compression ring goes on top (the black one or the reddish one), or which direction they are supposed to face (up or down). Apparently these aftermarket piston rings don't have the markings that the owner's manual indicated the OEM ones have, and the only markings they have is "STD".

Any help is appreciated,

-Wyrda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with Aftermarket Piston Rings KZ550H 28 Dec 2018 04:48 #795823

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
Does that redish ring have silver coloring where it contacts the cylinder walls? If so that's the top ring. Regarding which side is up, did you study the rings to see if there is any taper shape to them? If so, maybe you would match that to the manual? The OEM manual suggests the top ring has no taper but the second does. Hopefully through the process of elimination you can figure out what's what one ring at a time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: