Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 12 Dec 2018 12:30 #795032

• kz650guy123
  • kz650guy123's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Did some searching and really didn't find much.
Do any of you guys test run your rebuilt engine before reinstalling it in the frame ?
Any hints on how to do this ? Or why that is a bad idea.
Just interested in hearing other peoples ideas on this.
Want to make sure everything is running correctly before the trouble of remounting it in the frame.
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 12 Dec 2018 12:47 #795034

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
It will be more work to build a proper stand than to install the engine into the frame.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 09:50 #795079

• kz650guy123
  • User
Oh well

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 10:47 #795084

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I make-shifted a short stand to run a Kz550 motor. I only ran it a minute or so, with no exhaust (loud as hell, obviously). I even revved it a bit. I just did it to make sure there were no bad noises before I started adjusting valves etc. The stand made it a pleasure to work on so I've kept it. The design lets me tilt the motor forward to get to the oil pan in case I ever have to do a starter clutch or oil pump.

If I get a chance, I'll try to get some photos.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 11:02 #795086

• kz650guy123
  • User
Thanks loudhvx for the reply.
That's exactly what I want to do.
Just to make sure there are no issues before I bolt it to the frame.
A lot easier to access things with it out of the frame.
Yes post some pics.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 11:14 #795088

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

kz650guy123 wrote: Thanks loudhvx for the reply.
That's exactly what I want to do.
Just to make sure there are no issues before I bolt it to the frame.
A lot easier to access things with it out of the frame.
Yes post some pics.

EXCEPT, most problems do not crop up until a few miles are put on a new engine. You fail to mention how much of a "rebuild" this engine had. Top ends can normally be serviced in the frame, and exhaust needs to be in place to hear anything other than pop, pop, pop.. so to bench test a motor out of the frame is pretty much pointless unless a rod decides to come out the side of the block or it is hammering hard enough to hear over the noise.

In summary, put the bike back together and see how things work out in real time, with exhaust, ignition, charging system all intact and operating properly. Anything else is a waste of time, hence the lack of replies.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 11:23 #795089

• kz650guy123
  • User
Total top end rebuild. Had pan off. oil pump off and did some work to shifting mechanism.
Leaks will show up and will be much easier fixed with the engine out of the frame.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 11:56 #795091

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I agree with Nessism by the time youve built a viable stand and connected everything up,you could have fitted it in the frame (and pulled it out again.) I dont know what the big deal is with fitting an engine back in the frame. Theres what,two mounts on the front and one on the rear?? The electrics are all hanging there where they need to be,the fuel tank drops on as if it is meant to be there. Pop on the pipes and the carbs and youre ready to go. You can also run it down the road to check the shifter is working and the gears are all doing what theyre meant to. (You cant do that if the engines on a your workbench).
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, old_kaw

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 12:04 #795092

• old_kaw
  • User

kz650guy123 wrote: Total top end rebuild. Had pan off. oil pump off and did some work to shifting mechanism.
Leaks will show up and will be much easier fixed with the engine out of the frame.

Sooo, the million dollar questions is what cannot be fixed with the engine in the frame? Can you test shift it on the bench? If you cleaned everything up and put it together properly, there should be no leaks. Most leaks need time (and miles) to show.. But HEY, have at it, it's your baby.

it can be reinstalled in less time that it takes to build a test setup, unless you already own one.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 12:51 #795096

• kz650guy123
  • User
Well another reason is that my frame is a LONG, LONG way from being ready. Just want to see her run ;-) If only for a minute or two.

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 13:02 #795098

• old_kaw
  • User

kz650guy123 wrote: Well another reason is that my frame is a LONG, LONG way from being ready. Just want to see her run ;-) If only for a minute or two.

Another thing you forgot to mention. Pics are even helpful in most cases since a pics is worth a thousand words. It's really not hard to do.

You can be the one to break new ground here! Post some pics of your bench setup, along with a tutorial on exactly how to do it, and whatever results you might come up with on this procedure. :-)

My frame was not ready for the engine either after I had it all cleaned up and ready to install.

Sooo, I set it in my LR right next to my TV so that I could see it every minute I was not working on / cleaning up the other parts. Patience is a virtue. lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Testing newly rebuilt engine on the bench ? Yes ? No ? How do you do it ? Or not 13 Dec 2018 18:30 #795111

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
Here is a photo of the Kawasaki engine test area for Z1 engines from back in the day.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Last edit: by hardrockminer.
  • Page: