'78 kz750 twin Exhaust escaping at muffler junction

• Jessmansimon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Dec 2018 13:59 #794903 by Jessmansimon
There is continuous black soot that builds on the tailpipe from where it connects to the exhaust pipes. This twins pipes join at one side and fit around the tailpipe. I have tried to tighten the clamp twice, but it shakes loose and causes the tailpipe to become black yet again. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about this? Could there be too much buildup in the tail, causing pressure to loosen the tailpipe? Should I find separate tailpipes? For both sides? Is there something I could put at the junction to make the opening seal better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
10 Dec 2018 16:29 #794909 by Scirocco
In your case i would try this producct.

and buy good stainless steel exhaust clamps like this. I myself use the same clamp to get a gas tight connection.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jessmansimon

More
11 Dec 2018 06:10 - 11 Dec 2018 06:47 #794933 by martin_csr
I would remove the mufflers to see what sort of gaskets there are. then find replacements. I would probably use a high temp red rtv in addition to new gaskets or the stuff scirocco mentioned. If the muffler system has a crossover pipe, you may need to replace those gaskets as well.

just an example gasket. I've never seen these anywhere or searched for them. Hamamatsu Gasket
I've gotten oem style muffler gaskets from PartsNMore.com. It's the only place I know of that carries the oem type at reasonable cost.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 06:47 by martin_csr.

• Jessmansimon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Dec 2018 13:03 #795234 by Jessmansimon
Replied by Jessmansimon on topic '78 kz750 twin Exhaust escaping at muffler junction
I found some similar sealer at autozone. Fixed it right up! Thanks a ton!