Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ440LTD Engine Knocking Around 12-1300 RPM 30 Nov 2018 10:49 #794407

• the mooler
  • the mooler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
A little while back my bike broke down and I got her running again but now whenever I open the throttle any more than 1300rpm it starts to make an annoying knock and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. Any help will be much appreciated. Here's a youtube link, lets track this thing down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ440LTD Engine Knocking Around 12-1300 RPM 15 Oct 2019 13:00 #812520

• DceGodwin
  • User
The first engine on my 82’ 440 LTD ate a rod bearing and slowly developed a pretty bad knock making me have to get a parts bike for a new engine. The sound was very different and happened at all rpm’s however. The noise within your engine sounds like the valves are out of lash making the piston have interference with them. Either that or perhaps your valve springs are worn out making the valves have too much play as they return. Definitely a odd noise, atleast its not coming from the bottom end though. You can pickup a complete new head for it off of ebay for relatively cheap (50ish dollars plus shipping). Goodluck nonetheless though.
440Doink

1980 KZ440LTD Engine Knocking Around 12-1300 RPM 15 Oct 2019 14:12 #812523

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Take it in phases .
1 Open up covers and take a look
2 Pull head
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

1980 KZ440LTD Engine Knocking Around 12-1300 RPM 21 Feb 2020 18:49 #819667

• the mooler
  • the mooler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
It ended up being the rod bearing. The engine ended up seizing on me, so I lugged it up into my apartment and went at it for a few days. No prior engine experience necessary, I just downloaded the manual online, bought a new crankshaft on ebay and a few long days later I had a fully functional bike again.

• Page: