Secondary shaft gear installation

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Sep 2018 03:38 #791600 by Ojisan rider
Secondary shaft gear installation was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys.

I did a search using word "Secondary shaft gear" but couldn't find what I was looking for. If there's a answer for this question, sorry. There wqas 8 pages but all had to do with removing, not install.

Anyway, my question is just that. Just how do you install the secondary shaft gear onto the shaft? This is what I'm talking about.

Below right is what I'm talking about. Top left with clutch mushroom installed.
[img

From another angle.
[img

I know there used to be a special tool for it, but I just need to know what's the thread size it use so I can create my own.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2018 17:23 #791680 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Secondary shaft gear installation
Huh?

More
02 Oct 2018 06:59 - 02 Oct 2018 07:00 #791693 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Secondary shaft gear installation
How about installing the gear onto the shaft with the shaft outside the engine? A small hammer with block of wood maybe? You could prop up the shaft vertically over a wood work bench and then tap downward to install the gear.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 07:00 by Nessism.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
02 Oct 2018 08:12 #791698 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Secondary shaft gear installation
Hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like the splines mate correctly. Metal chips look suspicious too. Being forced unnecessarily?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
02 Oct 2018 13:26 #791716 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic Secondary shaft gear installation

Nessism wrote: How about installing the gear onto the shaft with the shaft outside the engine? A small hammer with block of wood maybe? You could prop up the shaft vertically over a wood work bench and then tap downward to install the gear.

Unless you have or make a copy of the "special tool" Kawasaki used, you are going to have to do exactly what Nessism suggested.
Attachments:

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Oct 2018 01:37 #791805 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Secondary shaft gear installation
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I thought about taking it out from the case, but the catch is, there's another rather large bearing on the other side, and this bearing is in the case rather deep. So this side looks easier, at least from what it looks like. I'll take picture later on to show it to you guys.

Oh, and don't worry about that metal shaving looking thing. The gear is just dirty. I already took it off to clean it, but it still refuse to go onto the shaft.

In the mean time, I'm still searching for the thread size. M10 is too small, M12 is too big. Just for the sake of it, I've tried 7/16x20 and only first few thread engage, so I'll try similar size SAE bolts to see if it fits.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

More
04 Oct 2018 04:41 #791810 by Nessism

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Oct 2018 19:08 #791840 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Secondary shaft gear installation

Nessism wrote: It's not SAE. Most like a different thread pitch than the standard metric sizes.

But as I mentioned before, M10 are too small and M12 is too big so it's not thread pitch issue. However, I had 3/8 coarse thread bolt handy (I have 86' Monte Carlo SS and most bolts are metric, but some of the engine bolt/nut are SAE) and it's a lose fit, but it went as far as the bolt bottom out. And no, I wasn't forcing it, just hand tighten. Figure worth a try. Don't worry. I won't force it in (sounds kinky, huh?)

More
04 Oct 2018 20:40 #791844 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Secondary shaft gear installation

Ojisan rider wrote:

Nessism wrote: It's not SAE. Most like a different thread pitch than the standard metric sizes.

But as I mentioned before, M10 are too small and M12 is too big so it's not thread pitch issue. However, I had 3/8 coarse thread bolt handy (I have 86' Monte Carlo SS and most bolts are metric, but some of the engine bolt/nut are SAE) and it's a lose fit, but it went as far as the bolt bottom out. And no, I wasn't forcing it, just hand tighten. Figure worth a try. Don't worry. I won't force it in (sounds kinky, huh?)

The standard pitch for a 10mm bolt is 1.5 threads/mm and fine is 1.25. I suspect the hole is threaded with fine pitch metric threads.