1981 Kz1000K1 Starter pics.

More
28 Aug 2018 08:25 - 28 Aug 2018 09:17 #789906 by old_kaw
1981 Kz1000K1 Starter pics. was created by old_kaw
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI got to wondering what my starter was looking like, and since I needed to do a little more "sealing" on the stator cover after replacement, I decided to order in the Arrowhead starter rebuild kit. BTW< this is the WRONG kit for my 81 kaw. Had I taken the time to look in my service manual I would have seen this, rather than going by the application data on the eBay listing. I could easily return this kit, since I listed my make / model in the purchase. I still might.

This is not a 4 brush permanent magnet starter as I had previously assumed (had't seen it in 5 years), and has field winding's, as can be seen from the 4 screws holding the winding's into the case barrel.

Except from being dirty inside (brush carbon) and in need of some fresh lubrication in the brush end of the armature, it actually looks pretty good for being a 24K mile original starter.

The brushes were reusable, and the commutator looked great.

This Arrowhead kit does have all the parts, . for a permanent magnet starter. I mistakenly ordered this kit without disassembling my starter first. It is always nice to have the parts already on hand in this "mail order" eBay and Amazon age we now live in. Returns suck, you can't compare parts prior to purchase, and it takes weeks to get the right stuff, if you make a mistake.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 09:17 by old_kaw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2018 08:40 - 28 Aug 2018 08:57 #789907 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic 1981 Kz1000K1 Starter pics.
The armature looked good, with the exception of the enamel coating starting to heat flake off of the winding's. I took the pic so that I had reference of the pecking order of the shim washers.

I spun the armature in a drill, and I am now wondering if I might have caused more damage than I repaired from using Emory cloth to clean up commutator. I did hit it with some 500 grit after. It will eat the brushes if the commutator is too rough. Hindsight is always 20/20. I cleaned up the barrel and put on some dupli-color wheel clear coat in an attempt to prevent corrosion.

It did clean up well. This is what I had to work with. Of course, this starter has never been abused since I have owned the bike. As-in cranking for hours until the battery dies. Your bike will kill a starter if the motor does not run or start worth a crap. My bike always either pops off right off the bat, or I stop cranking it just because I know it is not popping off, and I take the time to find out WHY. Remember ohms law. The lower the voltage, the higher the current folks! :-)

Well I had wanted to post a few pics. I did this last saturday. The main reason for the work was because I had a oil leak on the stator cover. I cleaned all of that up again, and used some RTV around all of the yellow wires and the rubber grommet, with a new stator cover gasket.

I hope this posting helps someone with some useful info.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 08:57 by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.