• Page:

TOPIC:

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 05:53 #788887

• Hardgun
  • Hardgun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey guys I've got an '82 KZ1100 shafty that im planning on tearing into this winter for an engine rebuild and some cam upgrade/ work. I plan on doing it all, possibly new pistons, hone job, new rings, valves, springs, new cams (torn between some apes and a Frankenstein '84 gpz swap at the moment). Anyways I'm just seeing if anyone has experience with different manuals and which has the best/ most detailed information for my bike. So far I've just been living off your information and internet searches. :side:
I've head Clymers is not the best and I've heard some people that love it. Any reccomendations?
Pics attached for your love and attention.B)
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 06:15 #788890

• Togoster
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Huh, pretty sweet. Heading out to the cafe are we? Have you done "the ton" yet with it?

The problem i find with the manuals (all manuals) is that they aren't model specific and a bit of ambiguity is the result. Not being a pro with years of experience I try to fill in the data by searches and maybe some videos. Since you have some time you could keep an eye out for used manuals on eBay and get a few including the factory manual. I have a factory manual for my GPZ and a Clymers for the 900 and the 1000.

They both are not the best only in different ways.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 07:18 #788896

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
Thank you sir! Well I love the cafe style but I do a lot more highway riding so I wanted a larger displacement. Heck I was doing "the ton" on my little 750 inline 2 before I ever tore into this bad boy. She'll take 125 like its nothing.

Sounds about right. So your recommendation is multiple manuals and a lot of research. got it. :sick: Yeah I'm certainly no pro, but I pick up on it pretty quick and I'm starting to get the idea of exactly what I need, and need to do. Just always more comforting to do this stuff with comprehensive instruction.
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 07:58 #788900

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Check out eBay. Plug the following text into the search block:

kawasaki kz1100 shaft manual -(clymer,adjuster)

Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 08:27 #788901

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I find my Z1 shop manual to be by far the best resource (but not always) for working on Z1's. I have KZ1000 shop manuals and a KZ550 manual (my Sweetums bike) as well. I also use a Clymer manual but only as a secondary resource.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 12:16 #788913

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
The Kawasaki service manual assumes the user has a certain amount of training & competence. The clymer kinda assumes the opposite. For example the clymer has a brake bleeding procedure whereas the FSM would only say something like refill with brake fluid & check for leaks.

Before torquing anything, double-check the general torque table to make sure the listed spec is within the proper range. There is at least one case in which an FSM is incorrect. I don't recall exactly what bolt or 1000 manual, but it gives a spec of something like 12 ft/lbs for a 6mm cam cap bolt, when the number should be around 80 to 100-INCH/lbs.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 15:38 #788932

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Yes it does assume the maintainer has some competence, which one should have in order to pull the engine apart and hone cylinders. But I agree with Martin_csr that Clymer in some cases is more descriptive, and for that reason I have a Clymer manual in my library.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 15:43 #788935

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
Sounds like my best bet is the shop manual then. Probably go with that to start. And I'll definitely be paying attention to the details. Winter is still a few months off and I've got a bit of research to do before i decide exactly what I'm doing but the goal is in sight and you've all helped me get on the right track and i truly appreciate it!
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe

Best manual for Internal/Engine work 15 Aug 2018 17:03 #788950

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
I wouldn't go with anything but the manufacturer's manual. They built it. Anything missing you can find here on the forum.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

• Page: